Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Fiberglass help - making the "shell"

Old 06-29-2004, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright.. I am almost done with my system and have run into a problem i thought i had figured out.

I have all my sub boxes and amp racks/boxes made and now i am to the part of making the "shell" or top of it all. I want it to be removable so that i can take it out later on if i want to.

Here is Batlord's "shell", as i call it. http://home.earthlink.net/~mattfulton/System/

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make this so it is removable?(just how to make the first layer to make the shape, i know how to fiberglass it after i get the first layer made)

Thanks ,
Matt
Old 06-29-2004, 03:11 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Maybe positioning your pieces the way you want them, and then hot glue wood dowels to hold the shape all together in the desired position. After stretch fleece material over the whole thing,and then soak in resin!

There may be a better way of doing it, but that could be one way! :?
Hope that helps a little, may not have explained it very well.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:22 PM

thats the way im doing mine, it will require alot (ALOT) of prep work to make it perfect but thats exactly what you do.

ps - it doesnt HAVE to be fleece, pretty much any material that stretches, i just went to the bargain bin at my local material shop and picked anything that stretched on was big enough. cost me $1.47.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:29 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon
Default 1st gen. side-skirts

True. You can use what ever you want. Fleece is good because it will absorb alot of resin laugh.gif
Old 06-29-2004, 08:51 PM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

do u just want a fiberglass cover that goes over it so it dont have to support anything??...if its just for looks take expanding foam in a can and spray it and sand it to shape..then cover it with aluminum foil and fiberglass over that
Old 06-29-2004, 09:13 PM

REDTIBBY!!! YES!

Sorry, i should have explained it better. I dont want it to be exactly like Batlord's, his has a wood skeleton underneath it is what he just told me in an email. Mine wont be supporting anything, it is just a "shell" for looks to cover the sub boxes and the edges of the amp boxes/racks.

Thanks Redtibby for the suggestion, i dont know why i didnt think of that in the first place. The foam should work for me in a few places, and in other places i think i'll be able to do the fleece/stretchy material. (i knew of the latter method from making my boxes, i just was trying to think of an easier/better way to do this)

Thanks guys for the input, any more suggestions are welcome.
Matt
Old 06-30-2004, 12:06 PM

About how much does it cost to get something like that done? I've been trying to do something with mine but I'm not sure exactly what to do with it. I have 2 12w6's, 1 Cap, 1 PPI A600, & 1 PPI A200, both are the art series.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:53 PM

if you do it yourself... materials, time, and sweat.

if u pay a custom shop.. umm.. i dunno.. alot.. depending on what you want done i guess. Too much for me, that is why i am doing it myself, and it is turning out alright
Old 06-30-2004, 04:13 PM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

yea that foam works wonders man...me and my friend used it on some of his car...fills out well and sands easily with a DA...just make sure u cover it with aluminum foil so u can pull the shell off of it when ur done or you'll have to try to break that stuff out
Old 07-01-2004, 02:11 PM

QUOTE (redtibby)
yea that foam works wonders man...me and my friend used it on some of his car...fills out well and sands easily with a DA...just make sure u cover it with aluminum foil so u can pull the shell off of it when ur done or you'll have to try to break that stuff out

cool man.. i'll post up and let you know how it goes. I should start tomorrow hopefully, saturday definately. And yeah, i'll remember to put foil down.. otherwise the fiberglass would be stuck to the foam.

Oh, and what is a DA? Can't figure out what u meant by that.