Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

fiberglass help

Old 06-23-2004, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

me and a friend are going to try our hands with a fiberglass project. this will be the first time i have worked with fiberglass, and i need some help on what type to get. we will be doing a custom enclosure in his trunk, so flexibility of the fiberglass is important.

i was thinking this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=26451

here is a list of ebay stuff if you would like to pick out something that looks easier to work with.
http://search.ebay.com/fiberglass-cloth_W0...ntrypageZsearch

also, anyone know where i can buy lots of resin and hardener for cheap? i know i can probably visit some boating stores down here, but are there any online sites? also, where should i get some stretchy carpet that i can use to cover it?

and i always did wonder, how do you secure it to the bottom of the trunk? do you just stick it in there and hope it doesnt move?
Old 06-24-2004, 02:11 AM

i would go with the first link, that fiberglass matt is really smooth. therefore doesnt require AS MUCH sanding.

second your probably gonna wanna go to a boat shop for the fiberglass b/c it will be fresh(yes it does have a shelf life) and it will lay smooth and even.(trust me i know).

and last i dont believe fiberglass has different flexibily depending on the quality. FIBERGLASS IS FIBERGLASS. just make sure the mold you make fits perfectly with the place you will put it in, and it wont move. and if it comes down to it, put velcro on the bottom. heres what ive been working on for the past few months.

those were the sides but i decided to do a full trunk enclosure.

thats the mold for my trunk.

and the MDF rings for my subs.

i just used the regular old matt for the bottom, but im using that same matt that you have in your first e-bay link to do the top(smoother = less sanding = me happy) and for stretchy carpet, . honestly ive gotten alot of advice from ppl who have done that ,and they say that there isnt too much difference in work, compared to carpetting,vinyl, or just painting a fiberglass enclosure, you have to smooth it down all the same, sand it down the same. only diff, is that with painting you have to fill in the pin holes..

hope this helps, but anymore questions just pm me
Old 06-24-2004, 05:54 AM

http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/main/

check out this site it may help you with your work.