Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Fan behind dash

Old 01-24-2012, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2007 Tiburon
Default Fan behind dash

I noticed that my head unit usually gets warm when being played for a long amount of time or if I’m really bumping the music hard. None of my speakers are connected to the unit. They’re all ran off of a 4 channel amp and my subs are ran off their own 2 channel amp. It’s a Kenwood unit which I have heard can run warm. Since heat is a killer of electronics would it help any if I installed some kind of small fan, like a desktop type behind the dash to flow air? The unit works fine with no issues, but I would like to keep it for a long time and not have it burn out.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2L track

Yes it would help and they are 12V too.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Might be a little noisy, what about a bigger heatsink perhaps?
Old 01-25-2012, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Just last night I was wishing I'd gone for a purpose-built low noise computer fan . . . for the fan behind my radio. When it's a quiet night and there is NOTHING else turned on in the car, you can barely hear the fairly-quiet regular computer fan in the guts of the dash. My head unit got HOT so I installed a fan on the switched-power line blowing on the back of the radio. Now it doesn't get hot, and that was a decade ago.