Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Electrical Problems

Old 04-08-2005, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a couple of electrical problems with my tib. The rear defogger doesn't work(no light up when pushed or anything), my intermittent wiper doesn't work, and the front wipers won't go back down when turned off. Could these things be related or each an independent problem? I looked at the fuses and they appear to be ok. I messed around under the dash kick panel a while ago to rewire the alarm and an aftermarket HU was installed. I think a wire may be shorting out or a ground disconnected somewhere, but I'm not really sure where all to check. There is also a wire in the trunk compartment(looks like speaker wire) that doesn't connect to anything but dissaperas into the left side to bottom/side cornor of driver side rear seat. I figured it was left over from an audio set up the previous owner had. Don't know if that could be part of the issue. I'm going to check all the ground connectors now.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:23 AM

So are you saying that the rear defogger LIGHT on the dash doesnt work, or the light and the defogger don't work...? Also, do your wipers still work and just don't go back down when you put the lever back in the off position? Or do they not work at all and won't go down?
Old 04-08-2005, 09:42 AM

the defogger doesn't light or work at all. The wipers work in all cases but intermittent and except they don't return to the bottom when I shut them off.

I am sitting in my car right now with the center dash off and am looking at the ETACS because of research I did on webtech. I think I may have found a cause for the problem. There are 6 wires cut in the following order :angry: :
Top Left going down:
1. green is uncut
2. blue/pink is cut
3. green is cut
4. black is cut
5. blue/pink is cut

Top Right going down:
1. blue is cut
2. black is cut

I think this is the problem. Great...this should be a lot of fun. Why would these be cut? Is my car going to bluw up if I reconnect these things? Looking at webtech for ideas of what wires are what, but I'm soso with electrical wiring so I'm trying to make some sense of it.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:30 AM

When you say that they're "cut", do you mean they are just dangling wires that are unattached to anything, or that you see two ends of each colored wire that aren't connected to one another?
Old 04-08-2005, 10:43 AM

there are two ends of each wire that aren't connected to each other. They just have to be bridged.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:47 AM

There's a good chance that's the problem, I wish I could take a look at it to see exactly what you're looking at, plus I have an rd2, and for some reason all the wires in my car are different colors than everyone elses...haha...best advice I could give you right now is to follow the wires in the direction of the defogger button and the steering column by the lever for the wipers, and then see if that's where they lead to be on the safe side so you don't short something or blow a fuse...
Old 04-08-2005, 10:52 AM

I'll track the wires to the defog switch, etc. THe problem is that there are 2 black wires and two ble/pink wires that are cut. They look exactly the same so Is there a diagram somewhere that shows which wires going into the ETAC connector are for what?
Old 04-08-2005, 10:57 AM

I don't see anything with the colors, but if you go to HyundaiWebtech, go to "Shop" tab...Windshield Wiper/Washer...Intermittent Wiper/Washer....then Service Adjustment, that might help you at least to figure out what part of the connector is what, and then you can figure out what the color means by its' position in the connector.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:19 AM

Did you buy the tib like that, or did you own it already? Did the stuff used to work before or not.

Maybe the wires have nothing to do with your problem. i think they do, wires don't usually are left hanging like that.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:26 AM

Problem Solved. I figured out the wiring and reattached them all. Everything works great now! Intermittent fixed, Rear Defogger fixed, wipers return to horizontal position when turned off. The sliced wires were the problem.

When I was putting the dash back together I also figured out why they were cut in the first place. The back left edge/corner of the cup holder can catch the wiring if you aren't careful putting it back in. Apparently the idiot who installed the stereo just jammed it back in and it ripped through the wires. :angry:

All is working now though so I'm happy, just a little aggravated that I had to do all that to get it working. At least I learned some more about how my tib, and that is always a good thing. Thanks for all the help!

Oh yeah, the airbag light was on and I'm thinking it was because it was finding an issue with these things being disconnected. It says on webtech that some of the codes will cycle out after 5 cycles if they are no longer present. I wonder what the luck of this being one of them is?