Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

El Gauges

Old 10-02-2005, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has been a very long, ongoing dilemma, and I figured today was the day to see if someone could shed some light on the subject for me.

One of the first mods I did to my car were EL gauges a couple years ago, the same ones semajeinnor has (link to his thread). Over time, they've progressively flickered, dimmed, and all around spazzed out. I've always put up with it because it's such a PITA to get the dash taken apart. ALSO, over the same period of time, I'd have issues with a fuse blowing that would kill the left corner lights, and the entire dashboard (including the EL). Well recently, no matter what I do, I can't keep that fuse alive. Coincidence? I don't think so.

So, I got a new set of EL gauges for a "99 - 01" tiburon from ebay, this time reverse glow. Well.... after getting the whole dash apart, these puppies do not fit. The warning lights don't even come close to lining up, and the tic marks can't be seen through the bezel at all. Now I know that the 1st Gen gauges don't line up the same as the 2nd Gen, but uh, now that I know what to look for, I see that ALL the gauges on ebay are not going to line up.

As it stands, I reinstalled the faces, but took out the inverter (and haven't blown a fuse since). The inverter is labelled with "Epicenter E12-908D-6A), and I've already emailed the manufacturer and I'm waiting for a reply. I've emailed the guy I bought the new gauges from about how they don't fit, and I'm waiting for a reply from him too... ugh.

After reading through this, I realize that I don't really have a question, other than, where have you 2nd gen EL gauge owners purchased them? And if off ebay, who was the seller? The seller of the original, good fitting gauges that I got (unitedindiglo) no longer sells on ebay, so I can't go back to him. Any ideas?
Old 10-02-2005, 04:33 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

this has been covered one hundred bazzilion quadrillion times.

but since you're phorq, ill help you out. wink1.gif

there are a select few that fit the second gens. the ones with the solid halo circles(as opposed to the cf weave pattern ones) do fit the second gens. also, the AOS ones will fit second gens.

what you can do though is replace your rd2 cluster with a rd1. all you will have to do is swap odometers, and its easy. check out my glow needle DIY to get an idea of how stuff is set up in the cluster, and it should be a peice of cake.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:36 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

I might want to trade you clusters, I'm looking for some AOS indiglo as opposed to my SR gauges.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:54 PM

heh... I am phorq. smile.gif

well, I looked around the site and thought that I had found out that the solid EL reverse would fit, but the CF EL reverse wouldn't, so I got the solid ones... Here's a pic, it's really close to the Bomz one (in white), but the tick marks don't come close to lining up as nice as Bomz... heck, these don't line up at all.

For everyone else buying on ebay, if you have a 2nd gen, here are a couple tel-tale signs they won't fit:
1.) the circles for the idiot lights should be evenly spaced. These ones, look kinda oddly placed.
2.) these have blue tick marks on both tach and mph (except redline). (The Bomz ones that fit have red ticks)

zoned - I'll keep it in mind if the inverter company and ebay seller fall through...
Old 10-02-2005, 08:45 PM

they way I learned it was the carbon fiber ones fit the RD 1s where has the ones with the solid halos fit rd2. In 99 is when the rd2 came out, therefore the 99 model tibby can either be the rd1 or rd2.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:34 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Egh, the bomz ones are OKAY, I had them before my AOS, but I wouldn't sell the AOS for ANYTHING.

Oh, I take that back.

I'll get rid of them when the new line of gauges I'm gonna do come out...
Old 10-10-2005, 08:15 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

When I installed mine the first time,I blew a Left side marker light too,and only one guage worked.The connection where the wire meets the guage was bad,,just removed the heat shrink wrap fr the wires and you should see a bad conection that a CAREFULL drop of solder can fix. Plus i wired mine directly to the battery with a 10amp fuse and switch of its own(mounted on dimmer switch plate) so no more fuse mishaps...Ps for some reason the popo like to bug modders round here if they see unusual lights coming from your car,so I can turn em off when I see em commin,and the factory lights underneath still light up enough to see the guages... Wrong guages do suck!
Old 10-10-2005, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Luke...what about not putting that Orange Overlay back on? Couldnt you just reinstall everything without that?
Old 10-10-2005, 12:37 PM

Visionz, well, I could do that, but the idiot lights still wouldn't line up, and I'd have to relocate the stop-pin on the Speedometer. Plus, I really, really love the orange overlay.

I never heard back from the Ebay seller or the inverter/transformer company... I've just been so busy with other things. ugh.

semajeinnor, where did you purchase the ones you have? If ebay, do you have the seller name?