Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Dynamat Question

Old 08-03-2005, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I'm going to be installing dynamat in my 2001 Tib, but have a few questions...

1. What's a rough estimate on how many sqft. I will need? I basically want to do the whole inside of the car. I already have the 20sqft. trunk kit, the 2 door kit (12 sqft.), 2- 10"x10" speaker sheets, and a 4 sqft. roll. How much more should I buy?

2. About how long do you think it will take? I would rather get the whole car done in one shot rather than having to do a little bit in stages. I have my daughters car seat in the back and if I go anywhere, I have to take her.

I'm not concerned about the weight of all this, just my exhaust sound inside my car being to loud for my daughters ears. And I only really want to do one layer of this. If I have extra, I'll put it where I think it might help or just hold onto it.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:58 AM

Honestly, the biggest difference you can make with Dynomat in our cars is to do the trunk. With the muffler being back there and the way it is shaped, it becomes a giant echo chamber for the exhaust.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:21 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

about 100 sq ft to do the whole car. i havent done it yet, but id say a little more than a day's worth of work.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:12 PM

QUOTE (Mad-Machine @ Aug 3 2005, 06:58 AM)
Honestly, the biggest difference you can make with Dynomat in our cars is to do the trunk. With the muffler being back there and the way it is shaped, it becomes a giant echo chamber for the exhaust.

Well, it's not only for my daughter. When she is not in there I actually do like to hear my music. And I would like it if I wouldn't have to raise my voice to talk to the person next to me. That's why I would like to do the whole car.

Since I already have 36 sqft of dynamat would I get the same or close to the same results if I finished the car off with something else. I think that the doors and trunk are the most important so I will use the dynamat I have, but for the floor and what not how about brown bead, or something of that nature?
Old 08-03-2005, 04:24 PM

I think stock is pretty quiet, so did you take out the exhaust resonater if so you might want to put in a glass pack, I have the motoria exhaust and a aem cai and have no problems what soever hearing music
Old 08-03-2005, 10:43 PM

Nah I've got 4-1 header, cat, 2.25 pipe and muffler, and an Injen RD CAI. I never had a resonator to begin with, just two cats. I took them both off and replaced them with one. It's fine around town if I don't get above 45mph and if I turn the music up, but sucks on the highway.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:55 PM

Get something else. You are wasting your money with dynamat. Bquiet, edead, fatmat, etc. One layer of their high-end deadeners will be as effective as dynamat and cost a heck of a lot less. 100 feet will be just enough.

The floorpan makes a big difference in noise when on the highway, but the trunk and doors are the best things to do first, as you said. But if you do it in stages, you will notice almost as big a difference with the floorpan (and rear seat) as you first do with the trunk.

Get the outer door and body panels behind the rear speakers too.

I took out my whole dash this week and applied some more fatmat all the way up the firewall. I have to say that it wasn't worth the trouble. The difference is so slight, it took all day to get the dash out, and now my dash has a slightly larger gap on the left side where it meets the door than the right. Argh. Never again. I should have bought something for under the hood instead.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:02 AM

Id get a glass pack to quiet down the exhaustbecause the weight will hurt performance bbut I dont think the glass pack will hurt as much
Old 08-04-2005, 05:25 PM

Yeah I had planned on doing the rear panels too. Since there is just a lot of dead space back there, is there something I could add along with fatmat to make it more like a sub box so to speak. I thought I saw somewhere that there is a styrofoam ring that you cut to fit and place it behind the rear speakers to give them a better sound. Or would the fatmat alone be just fine.

As far as getting a glasspack, no offense, but I just don't want to do that. I actually like my exhaust as loud as it is. It's just when my daughter is in there that I don't. I know use the silencer, but that thing sucks. And the weight part of it at this moment in time is not a big concern. I don't race on the street, and until I buy another car for me to drive my daughter in, I'm not concerned with racing it. I will still mod it for when the day comes when I can race it, but not yet.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:16 PM

I use foam baffles for the front speakers, but not for the rear. I didn't notice an improvement in sound at all, but that was after I had already soundproofed the doors. I use them to keep my speakers dry and stop air from coming through that area when the window is cracked.

I didn't bother with the rear speakers, since I pretty much covered all of the panels and tire wells behind them. There are a few safe expanding foam applications out there, but I have read about too many problems for me to use it on my car, such as rust or panel swelling/seperation.

I would agree with the other comments about adding a glasspack. $30 will get you a Thrush glasspack. Negligible performance hit, and it makes an amazing difference in exhaust sound. It will not lower the loudness so much as the tone, making it a much deeper growl, and that helps eliminate cabin resonance. I think if you polled people here who added a perforated core glasspack, the general reply would be that it's a great upgrade to the exhaust sound. If you have buzzing, it will be gone.

I have intake, header, high-flow cat and custom 2.25" exhaust with a Thrush glasspack, and I get lots of compliments on my exhaust from ricers and serious modders both. And I have to say that my exhaust sounds better than any other 4 banger with a modded exhaust I have heard to date.