Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Car Security Dead Bolt

Old 02-18-2004, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys

My car was just recently broken into and I lost all my ICE(Cd player, amp, subwoofers). I feel that a car alarm will not always prevent theifs from taking your stuff and I was looking into a dead bolt system. It would be activated with a remote and would trigger a solenoid to send a dead bolt across each of the two doors and one for the trunk. I think this might be similiar to people who have shaved door handles.

If anyone knows if this is possible or has seen it done by anyone, let me know. I am going to be installing a new system within the next 2 months and I don't want to lose it again.

Thanks
Old 02-18-2004, 12:31 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul
Default Car Security Dead Bolt

Well, first off, get a good 2 way paging Alarm, WITH GLASS BREAK SENSOR.

That's what I did after my loss a few weeks ago.

Otherwise they will fool with your car and see if you come out when the alarm goes off. Then they will figure out how much play they have before your alarm sets off. Then they will use a sparkplug or center punch to break your glass and let the tint hold it together. Slide that under the car. Then they climb in thru the window and cut your alarm.

Tada.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:26 PM

it can be done.. and simply... All you need is a strong metal rod and a power lock actuator.. instead of using the actuator to push or pull the lock button up and down... it slides the rod through a hole (you have to drill) from the inside of the door into another hole (that you also have to drill) into the metal of the door opening. Best to do it below the latching mechanism and make sure that it only engages when the car is not running.. or put a manual switch so you can control it. You do not want the door to get "locked" closed at a bad time.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:58 PM

Does that prevent the windows from being broken? I think that's the most imprtant thing to deal with. At least then you can only get hit by professionals. I agree with Redz. Get a 2-way pager. You can get ones that sense everything. Plus there's a display that says what is setting off the alarm. If it's a broken window, broken sunroof, or someone just leaning against the car. Be sure to read some of the other threads about the best places to put the brain and all that good stuff.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:42 PM

Hey Guys

I found a place online that sells the bolts for cars. www.doublelocksecurity.com They are selling them for $50 a door bolt and they hook up to your alarm remote. When you arm you car with the remote, the bolts lock also. As for the trunk, I am going to cut my manual switch in the car and disable the key release. Then I am going to install a remote trunk release and use the auxiliary button on the alarm to open the trunk. Then to be extra secure, I am going to prevent the seats from folding down by adding a mounting bracket.

I found a place that would install a 2 way pager for 119 with all the options including starter kill and glass sensor. Does this price sound right because 2 way pagers usually run around $300 installed. How much did you pay for yours redz?

If everything turns out well, I am hoping to have a secure tib for about $250. I will keep you guys updated.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:13 PM

Heh, good luck for that price, hope it's a good unit. I know that I, for one, am NEVER gonna cheap out on a alarm.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:53 PM

I would think that a good pressure sensor in the interior.. along with door sensors and a Pain generator hooked up to the alarm would leave your tib pretty safe.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:56 AM

QUOTE (Mad-Machine)
I would think that a good pressure sensor in the interior.. along with door sensors and a Pain generator hooked up to the alarm would leave your tib pretty safe.

Yeah, to avoid that hassle that Redz was talking about that is what I did.
I have interior and exterior infra-red sensors....I can leave my window down and if you stick your arm in the car it will set the alarm off. I also have shock sensor and glass sensors....not much getting into my car without someone knowing!!! I dealt with a break in about 8 years ago.(although I think my roommate had something to do with it since it was the ONLY time my alarm wasn't turned on)...different alarm too btw.
Old 02-22-2004, 04:38 PM

Infra Red sensors?

Hmm...

Woudln't mind getting one of those for my sunroof, I like to leave it open.

They have them for the Viper Responder series?
Old 02-23-2004, 11:30 PM

How much would all the infrared sensors and glass and shock sensors cost? Sounds like it would be a lot for infrared.

I might be getting a pager alarm installed this weekend so keep me updated on what I should do.

Thanks