Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Capacitors?

Old 10-17-2005, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I was wondering if a capacitor added to your system would eventually loose it's charge over time and not be providing the best power output?
Just wondering if I should get a new one.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:46 PM

The capacitor is directly connected to your battery so it won't lost it's charge unless your battery does.

You would disconnect the + wire that's connected to your amp (from the battery) and run it to to the + on the capacitor.
Connect the same gauge wire from the + on the cap to the amp's + terminal.
Ground your amp straight to your car (some people just run it to the - on the amp but i don't know how smart that is) and your good.
Assuming you already charged your cap with the card that comes with them all.

The cap basically equalized the electrical current comming in so your battery doesn't have as much strain on it (dimming lights). It also makes sure your amp is getting enough juice so your system sounds it's best.

I just bought this cap on ebay here i got it in like 2 days. it retails at over $200 at best buy
Old 10-17-2005, 06:57 PM

I'm quite sure the rating of a capacitor does not degrade over time. They do not need to be replaced. Getting a bigger cap would make sense, but not the same cap to replace what you have.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:17 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

So do you think my system would benefit from say like a 2 farad capacitor. It's not a huge power running system. I have 2 amps, 1 is like 500watts and the othe if 300 watts.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:37 PM

Are your lights dimming when the bass hits? Adding a capacitor to a system is to help those peak surges in power. If it's doing fine with say a 1F cap, a 2F cap won't really do much for you. Unless you are planning to upgrade & will be drawing more power, I wouldn't bother buying a cap if your current setup can handle it.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:02 PM

I was running an 800 watt system in my Grand AM and I had a two farad capacitor just because it was cheap when I bought it. a 1 farad would do you just fine, and I would get one regardless of having dimming lights or not.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:20 AM

Ive got a stinger 1 farad cap just sitting here. Been meaning to put it in but i think im going digital. Either way a cap is a good choice for any system running an amp.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:09 PM

Ok i just got a 1200w amp for christmas what would be the best kind of capacitor i should get. Sorry for the stupid question i havent had much experiance with sound systems in cars.

Also sorry for being off topic