Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Automatic Shift Knob Install?

Old 08-16-2006, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay... I have searched until I can;t search no more. I found some post on it a found no answer. I can't figure out how to change my AUTOMATIC SHIFT KNOB. It has the OD button on it so I'm guessing I will have to relocate it? But I cant even figure out how to get my factory shifter off. I read a post somewhere about the wiring, but I didn't quite understand it. Can anyone walk me through this. Or if anyone has seen a post on here that has the answer to my question... please post it. Thanks!
Old 08-17-2006, 12:22 AM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

Thanks for doing things the right way by searching, however.... I found both threads I remember talking about this in my first search, lol. Don't feel bad though.... Sometimes I can never seem to find what I'm looking for with search. Here are both links:

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtop...tomatic+shifter

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtop...tomatic+shifter

Hmmm... Reminds me I should do this. I plan on doing the manual swap next year, but the automatic shifter is FUGLY. Even if it is only about a year, I'd rather not have it.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:59 AM

Vehicle: 1997/ Hyundai/ Tiburon

I did it and got a different shifter on mind. I relocated my od switch to part of the shifter surround. i'll get some pics once i get the chance to take them. Its not too hard and it will look much better than the stupid ugly lookin knob we have now. Well, actualley the leather one looks kinda koo but the plastic one is like cheapy.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:06 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

When I did mine way back when in my auto Tib I bought the knob with the overdrive button. When I went to put it on I didnt feel like wiring it all in so I just stuck the switch underneath and left it on all the time. Wasnt difficult to do though
Old 08-17-2006, 09:54 AM

Sweet. I'll probably put a toggle in place with the ones for my lights (For the O/D). The shifter I got looks pretty tight. I'll post a pic of it. Just keep in mind my dash and doors are all red and the silver button matches the surround on the vens and the HVAC knobs and the buttons on my Indash DVD player. So let me make sure I have this correct before I got tearing it apart, loosing springs and breaking tabs...

Pop of the shifter shroud, take the screws out around the shifter base, pull those tabs back abit to release the shifter and plastic gear indicator, the indicator cover will come off and there are a cbole and wires there for my OD, disconnect those, relocate my OD button, the top of the shifter comes off (be carefull not to lose the spring), then put my new one on and tighten it an place and reconect everything and put it all back together. VIOLA!

If I screwed up along there, let me know. Thanks!

Old 08-17-2006, 12:45 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

That's pretty bad ass lookin.

For an auto.

wink1.gif
Old 08-17-2006, 12:51 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

Yeah that's badass.. looks like a nitro button or something lmao.gif

Where can one acquire one of them then? in blue like... laugh.gif
Old 08-22-2006, 05:44 PM

There is a website called www.KEYSTONE.com I worked for an upscale car audio store about 2 years ago and they had an account. I paid like 7 bucks for this. YEAH! It was pretty cheap. It's made by ICHABAHN . If you can't buy it directly from Keystone. Check out this site and they are a Keystone Dealer and can order it for you and ship it to your house.

Audio +

I'm glad you like the "Auto" knob Redz! fing02.gif

If someone can look over my steps for changing out the knob and let me know if it is correct, that would be great. It would give me a bit more courage if I THOUGHT I knew what I was doin'. lmao.gif