Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Audio Problem

Old 08-05-2006, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon SE

my car came with a clarion head unit, aint the best but hell it was free and in it, got a 12" infinity sub with a ultimate 2 amp, before the sound would never go above 23 or so without starting to distort so on my couple day leave last week i bought some 300w pioneer 6x9 and 230w 6 1/2 installed them, admired the sexyness...

but the sound still wont go any higher! no extra loudness or anything, figured before the speakers were crackling cause there was to much power for oem speakers to handle... well now with 300w 6x9 i doubt they can handle no more then crappy oem speakers...

any possible way it can be the wiring or the HU itself causing the problem? cause im baffeled and its slightly pissing me off =/
Old 08-05-2006, 10:36 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

get a new headunit.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:15 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

yep head unit is a piece it sounds like.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:25 PM

It ain't the head unit (well not totally). Just because you installed higher rated speakers doesn't mean your system will be louder. Now you are severely underpowering them which will cause them to blow. If you're happy with the head unit, then you need to pick up a good (not just highest wattage) 4 channel amp to power those speakers. You will most likely be in the same boat if you get another head unit that's not powerful enough to run those speakers. And I'm not an expert on head units, but I don't think there's one out there that will handle all four of those speakers properly.
You went backwards kid. If you wanted it to be louder and clearer at peak then you should have found a speaker set rated within the abilities of the head unit. Underpowering speakers is the major cause of blowing speakers, not overpowering them. Get a 4 channel amp and you'll be happy.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:40 PM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon SE

alright that makes alot more sense, the help i got in the city wasent that great as you can tell

i do plan to replace the head unit since it aint the greatest, think its one of the entry class HU from clarion, probably dicountined already.

so the crackling is probably cause the speakers are underpowered then?

quick question too, if something says this:

Continuous Bridged Power:
200w x 1 @ 4 ohms
300w x 1 @ 2 ohms
Maximum Bridged Power:
350w x 1 @ 4 ohms
470w x 1 @ 2 ohms

that means its a single channel... and if its:
Continuous Power:
55w x 4 @ 4 ohms
80w x 4 @ 2 ohms
Bridged Power:
160w x 2 @ 4 ohms
Maximum Power:
140w x 4 @ 4 ohms
200w x 4 @ 2 ohms

that means its a 4 channel amp? or did i just get that completly wrong lol

since this amp will run just the speakers, there any certain wattage i should be looking for? since there 230w and 300w and i dont really want to go from underpowering the speakers to blowing them =/
Old 08-05-2006, 07:19 PM

The X = the number of channels. X1= single channel or some times called mono which is primarily used for subs. x2= 2 channels, ect.... Bridged means taking a x2 and "bridging" to one channel (connect the positve from one channel of the amp to the positive side of the speaker and connect the negative side of the other channel to the negative side of the speaker)
Again I'm no expert, but best bet is to ignore the "watts" as the are probably exagerrated anyway and find out what the rms rating for each set of speakers is. This is the max rating the speaker can output without distorting.Then find a 4 channel amp that can match that output. Your speakers and amp will probably last much longer.
If I said anything incorrectly or if someone can give a better explanation, please chime in.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:27 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

QUOTE (kb5133 @ Aug 5 2006, 12:25 PM)
It ain't the head unit (well not totally). Just because you installed higher rated speakers doesn't mean your system will be louder. Now you are severely underpowering them which will cause them to blow. Underpowering speakers is the major cause of blowing speakers, not overpowering them.

WTF?!?!??!

[SmackDown] instead of a speaker imagine a toaster in it's place. If you put the head unit on low, nothing will happen. When you turn it up, you'll get a hot toaster. Same thing with your speakers. Underpowering speakers is keeping the volume down dude. Take a minute to really think about what you're saying. Does it make sence at all? Will a V4 running a tiburon blow up quicker then if it were running a disel mac truck? Will a stapler that is lightly tapped break quicker then one that is punched?

Ever notice how everyone has a superpowerful 1.21 JiggaWatt sterio system until their speakers blow... then they change thier story to... Oh, It was underpowered and it blew. Yeah. Sterio installers will tell you the same story to get you to buy a bigger sterio.

The things that break speakers are pressure and excessive magnetic fields. Magnetic fields are created inside the inductor(voice coil) and propel the cone away from the perminant magnet. If there is something blocking the speaker IE. a hand or something, The speaker could break. If the magnetic field (created by voltage and current) becomes too high, damage could be caused to the speaker by blowing the cone out of the unit, or by frying the inductor. If the magnetic field becomes too fast or slow for the speaker, the speaker could warp.

Underpowering, also known as keeping the volume down, does NOT blow speakers. Stupid people do.

[/SmackDown]
Old 08-06-2006, 09:33 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

ummm...dood. you can blow speakers by underpowering them.

Underpowering a speaker is likely to damage the voice coil due to the excess heat created by distortion. This distortion, called clipping, is created when the amp is not able to supply the power demand when the volume is turned up. If you turn the volume up very high without the power to back it up, you'll end up clipping the signal coming out of the amp. The speaker will try to reproduce this clipped signal, and if played under these circumstances for any length of time, the speaker will not last very long.

There is a mis-conception that if you're not giving the speaker as much power as it can handle you won't blow it, but that simply is not the case. The only way to really address this problem is to replace your speaker for one with a lower power rating, and a higher SPL rating, or replace your amp with one that better matches the speaker's power handling capability. An alternative to replacing the equipment is to simply keep your volume turned down!

Make certain that power and ground wiring for the amplifier is sufficient to deliver adequate current to the amp. Proper wire gauge and clean connections are critical for strong performance.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:33 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^^ then you better keep the volume on your sterio up huh?

It won't happen, as long as you match impedance correct. You can hook up a 4KW speaker to a 200W amplifier and it will bump it just fine, it will bump it nowhere near its potential, but it will bump it. The problems usually come when people install faulty grounds, higher amperage fuses, and mismatch impedances.

usually 1 ohm speakers are higher wattage then 4 or 2 ohm speakers, which may be causing the confusion.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:42 AM

Dude, I see your smackdown and I'll raise you a kick in the ass. joke.gif

Without getting all technical about it (which I couldn't do anyway):
If you play a distorted signal through speakers (I'm not sure "uderpowering" would be the correct term) for an extended period of time the speakers will be damaged ("blow" is probably not the best term to use). Now why is it Vlad got higher volume without distortion out of his lower rated speakers then when he put those monsters on?
A responsible installer will sell you an amp to match the abilities of your speakers (or vice versa). An irresponsible one will tell you "you need more power".