Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

audio (help)

Old 01-02-2002, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default audio (help)

hey guys well i have a question here i currently now own a zapco ag1000 amp (thanks joanne thanks rob....) and well when i got the tunes pumping my lights seem to dim when the bass hits harder.. would a cap solve this problem?

any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 01-02-2002, 01:38 AM

In the short term, yes, it'll help. The lights dim because the amp draws too much current. The only way that the electrical system can cope is to lower the voltage. (There's more to it, but that will do it.)

A capacitor helps average out the current draw, so that the electrical system isn't hit so hard. However, you can still be drawing more current than your alternator can supply. So you can drain your battery, even while the car is running. Eventually, the lights will dim because the battery has drained.

A capacitor for the audio system can help the electrical system in your car, though. Those moments when the light goes dim are hard on light bulbs, and the regulators that keep the rest of the computers at a regulated voltage. With the capacitor in place, you shouldn't ned to replace light bulbs as often -- provided that you don't shake the bulbs to death with the bass notes.
Old 01-02-2002, 02:56 AM

Here is a nice Cap kit for you...

CrutchField Cap Kit

This should work for you, and not kill your battery...

[ January 02, 2002: Message edited by: KamikazeePilot ]
Old 01-02-2002, 07:57 AM

A cap will help you out but the only way to completly elliminate it is to put a circuit breaker in and a gel cel for your system and run your system off of the gel cel.