Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Amp Install Questions

Old 01-17-2008, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

I recently installed Audiobahn speakers all around, and I just got a new 4-channel JBL GTO75.4 II amp (104W RMS per channel). I was planning to install it under the driver's seat, but it is a bit bigger than I expected. The dimensions are: length 15" (not including terminals and such, about 1-2" more), width 11", height 2.5".

I would rather not put it in the trunk, I'm scared something will happen to it when I carry something big or if some groceries spill or whatever. I think it still has a chance of fitting under the seat; the distance between the rail supports is exactly 15". There is also a height problem, how much more space can I make if I cut the carpet? BTW can I drill holes for screws into that floorboard? Any tips on mounting stuff under the seats would be much appreciated!

About routing wires - is it ok to route speaker wires back to the headunit and use the stock speaker wires from there on? Is it ok to route them together with the RCA signal wires?
Old 01-17-2008, 06:20 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Be careful when you drill holes. Have someone watch from under the car and off to the side to see where the drill is comming through. Use a small drill first. You wouldn't want to puncture a break line. Although I think you'll probly be drilling through the frame itself on one side.

I mounted a 2.5" small 300w power inverter under the seat. Yours may not clear the back of it becaue of how large the amp is. You should be able to clear an extra .5 from the carpet. I don't know if that will be enough. The best thing you can do is test it by removing the 4 seat bolts and mock-fitting it.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:42 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Turbulence

Remember that if the heat sink on your amp isn't up to snuff, it'll get very hot if it's crammed under your seat with no air flow. You don't want it to overheat. Especially if working on it/replacing it will require removing your seat.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:08 PM

^ The amp looks like this:
http://www.jbl.com/car/products/product_de...AMP&ser=GTS

The upper and lower black parts are all metal and it's wrinkled like a heatsink (it doesn't have fins though). It seems like the whole amp is a big heatsink LOL

There is a vent under the chair, so I could blow cold air on the amp if necessary. By the way, an amp gets hot only when using it at high power - if the volume is low, it shouldn't heat up right?

0.5 inches of carpet is good news, it might fit. Maybe I'll try to figure out some other means of securing it instead of drilling holes.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:09 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

Amps heat up from use or surrounding air. Keep in mind that under your seat gets dirty aswell so that could cause some damage. In the summer time I am willing to bet you will get over heating problems because of lack of air flow. Also keep in mind every hole you drill leaves that much more room for rust! And water from underneath!
Old 01-20-2008, 09:29 PM

Ok, I will take your advice and not put it under the seat. It would be very hard to make it fit anyway (if possible at all..)

I will mount it in the trunk, on the back of a backseat.. Seems a lot easier and more convenient. Thanks guys!
Old 01-20-2008, 10:57 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited

i have my amp mounted on the back of the rear driver's side seat. the power wire goes through a hole that was drilled in the firewall up behind the pedals and then down the driver's side rocker under the back seat into the seat back (long run on i know.). i have never had any issues with the amp overheating or anything. it does get kind of dusty, but that's only on the outside.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:58 PM

Just a random tip of advice, an old MECP installer I knew told me to aim the subs at the back of the car because the sound resonates and sounds alot better, I know I never noticed that much of a difference but just letting you know what he said fing02.gif
Old 01-21-2008, 06:02 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited

that's how they were when they were first installed. when i did my second tour in korea i left my car with a friend and he turned them around. i think they sound better facing forward. also, i don't hear as much of a rattle on the outside too.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:43 PM

that was always my thought was that it would cause less rattle facing the front but it's hard to tell what the "true" best way is.