Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

AM I LOUD???? *WHAT* AM I LOUD!!!!!!

Old 06-25-2001, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S
Default AM I LOUD???? *WHAT* AM I LOUD!!!!!!

Just wondering...I often hear people quote SPL levels and Db levels.

Is there a way I can check this on my system without embarrassing myself in a competition? (don't want to compete...just courious).

What is the differnce between SPL and DB?

Do all sound systems play the same audio track for testing purposes at competions, or do you get to pick your own music?
Old 06-26-2001, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been to about 5 bass comps so far so i can tell you.

DB and SPL are the same thing.SPL is measured in DB's

Some audio stores have a mic that you can measure with ask them so you dont have to to go the competition and waste you time.

You can play any track you want. People play all different stuff just make sure its a bass cd. I have tons of them. if you dont have any you can download some
Old 06-26-2001, 04:06 AM

Random,

Db is short for decibles used to measure the intensity of a sound wave.

SPL is short for Sound Pressure Level used to measure the compression of sound in an enclosed space (namely the cabin of your car). This is usually measured with Db's as the units.

I used to go to my local car audio store and they would let me test the SPL in my car for free by myself or with one of their reps if they have the right equipment. You shouldn't be embarrassed about not being loud. If it sounds good to you, who the hell cares what other people think?
Old 06-26-2001, 06:31 AM

That's right Bro!!!
Louder doesn't make it better...
It's the sound quality that really counts. smile.gif
I trying to get that surrond sound effect in my ride..
Then I can add my video equipment for ICE!!!
Old 06-26-2001, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Since we are on the competition angle here....

Okay, So you can play ANY CD you like.

I'm assuming due to the various differences in car cabin design and car audio component design and speaker placment all effect the "loudness" of a given CD Track.

So...How do you know if you should play...Rage Against the Machine, Cisqo, Kid Rock, or Cypress Hill?

Is there an "at home" SPL/DB meter that you can use/buy to "test" your setup and select your music to prime yourself for competition?

Personally....

I'm not worried about embarrassing myself with my setup. It works for me and it was dirt cheap (kinda like a Hyundai), I was just wondering how loud it is.

BTW...If anyone wants to destroy/test your subs...i've got a killer Industrial/metal/rock tune to reccomend.
Old 06-26-2001, 07:16 AM

Like i said use a bass cd. People dont use regular music much. I think its stupid. I was at one and one guy was using nelly. It sucks. Bass cds are for taht. I have some you can download if you want just PM me and i can let you get it from me.
Old 06-26-2001, 08:05 AM

A good CD to use is anything by Bass Mechanik... they have SPL/Db test tones on there that are just low frequency tones to get good readings from... through my competition experience I notice that you get a more reliable and higher reading from test tones.
Old 06-26-2001, 08:26 AM

Yeah they do make the best. I downloaded songs from 10 Hz-100 Hz. It sounds really nice in a system and should do good at competition
Old 06-29-2001, 06:57 AM

Okay...

You can play any COMMERCIALLY RECORDED CD. That means that you cannot play a CD-R.

This is a minor distinction, but one that bears attention. I could make an audio track with a frequency generator that would have my car reading WAY loud, just by playing with a frequency generator as the "source" in my car. So there is a restriction on what you can play...

For SPL meters, I have a schematic around somewhere that details how to make an SPL meter using stuff you can get at Radio Shack, or any common electronics suply store... Using a meter like that and a series of pre-recorded (Or, if you have a frequency generator, like I do, you can use that) sine wave signals to tune an EQ.

BTW, Radio Shack sells an SPL meter for about $60 or so. It isn't really accurate at low bass frequencies, but there are mods to that meter posted on the 'net to make it accurate down to about 20 Hz or so, which is more than adequate for your own use.

Originally posted by BMS212:
I downloaded songs from 10 Hz-100 Hz. It sounds really nice in a system and should do good at competition

Note, as I said before, a CD-R isn't likely to be allowed at competition. If you want to use those tracks, go buy the CD.
Old 07-04-2001, 06:45 AM

There is also the SQ side of it and yessss... You can conpete in SQ. In my opion SQ is harder to compete in. In DB drag comps all you need is the wright amount of power with the proper freq and the wright type of box and the proper cone size to compress the waze, and if you car is realy a db racer all the crossovers and power will be desinged to work only in the freq. (just like drag racing with the proper trany for power band)
Least if you lose in sq you can still drive away with a car that the imaging will still send shivers down your spine, and keep your hearing.