Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

8's in the front???

Old 10-09-2001, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8's in the front???

I just got two 8 in kicker comp subs and i want to put them in the front to replace the 6+ speakers. Question is has anyone done this and if so what did they use for moutning these in? Did you take out the whole encasing for the old speaker?
Old 10-09-2001, 01:50 PM

I have 8's in my doors they are JL 8w0's. What I did to install them and the only way to make the install work was to take out the complete speaker assembly then I made a round wood cutout after measuring the space between door panel and door then bolted it to the metal I then sealed every opening on the door. I then took the speaker cover off the door panel and reinstalled the door panel. Once all of this was done I took the sub and put it into the hole keep in mind the lip f the sub will be outside of the panel not underneath, then I screwed it down to the wood and it looks and sounds great alot of people especially people with Honda's say to me how did you do that, how do you have the room for it and I just giggle like ha ha your car sucks kinda giggle. But Kudo's to Hyundai for leaving so much room their is also enough space in the 6x9 compartment to fit a 10 (beleive me I tried for sh%ts and giggles) and it fits without a hitch. But just some info for you if the Kicker sub you got is not a free air sub it will sound like as$ no offense but you need a free air sub if you want to put one in the door.
Old 10-11-2001, 04:00 PM

J99: Hey, props on the install.

I'd have done things differently, but then people think that I just like extra work! wink.gif

With the kicker comp sub, putting it the in the door is going to suck badly. They need a much tighter airspace, or they're just going to be awful. A custom fibreglass enclosure could be fabricated. I'll have a Tib door apart this weekend, if I find the time. Care will need to be taken that it doesn't interfere with the window mechanism. It ought to be well clear of the door lock/latch mechanism, no no worries there. I'm concerned about lock modules, and the like, but that's why I'm going on the scouting missin this weekend. smile.gif

As to replacing 6X9s with 10s, that sounds like a worthwhile cause. I was going to abandon the 6X9s in my friend's car, and go with a pair of 8s up front in the doors, and a 5.25"/1" set in the dash, but if I can get 10s in the back, that leaves the doors empty for a 6.5"/4"/1" combo that would absolutely ROCK. (Also easier to squeeze a 4" into the dash.)

Anyway, fitting your 8s into the doors is going to take some work. Best of luck!
Old 10-12-2001, 01:50 PM

correction* the subs are actually kicker impulse...do u still think they will suck a$$ freeair? im taking my car to "the speaker place" later this week to get an est. on the install. i'll have him include a custom enclosure for the kickers if need be
Old 10-12-2001, 02:50 PM

Yup. The Kicker Competition and Impulse are small enclosure subwoofers. Kicker Freeairs (F8s) would be okay.