Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

**TUNEZ** Alarm Advise PLEASE

Old 08-16-2001, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **TUNEZ** Alarm Advise PLEASE

I can get a Prestige APS-750 WITH remote start for $300.00 installed. And window option is $80.00 extra. Any thoughts? He also stated that ANY car auto or MANUAL can have remote start added. Is this true? I thought Clifford was the only company with a (manual tranny) remote start option?? You guys/gals thinkthis is a good deal? I was only looking to spend around 200.00-250.00 but if I can get remote start with this package....drop me some feedback.

Thanks
Old 08-16-2001, 04:54 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

This isn't to answer your question..but I'm curious about the same thing. I had no idea at all that you could even hook up an auto-starter to cars with manual tranny's. Hmm..I might have to look into this now......
Old 08-16-2001, 05:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Moving to Interior Forum.
Old 08-16-2001, 05:24 AM

I think Nomad has the clifford one...and he said he paid like $600.00 installed.
Old 08-16-2001, 06:22 AM

I have installed several remote starters on cars with manual transmissions, and I know that there are several companies that offer models for manuals. Command start & polar start are two that I have dealt with.

The Polar start protects the owners of manual trannies in a couple of ways. Forst off, when you exit the car, the car MUST be running, and the E-brake must be engaged. Then you press the button to shut it down. (Note, there is an optional turbo timer, which will leave the engine running for up to 3 minutes. -- Very useful for owners of turbocharged vehicles.) If the door is opened at any time while the car is shut down, the remote starter WILL NOT start the car.

It is possible to try to get the remote starter to crank the car while it's in gear, but you'd have to reach in through an open window to put the car in gear. One hopes that the owner of the vehicle isn't *that* stupid.

The Command start uses a sensor on the gearshift to make sure that it's in neutral. It can't be fooled, as far as I have been able to deterine -- provided it is installed correctly.
Old 08-16-2001, 06:34 AM

Here are the full options:

APS-750

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anti-Code Grabbing Technology 3 Button Remote Security System With Shock Sensor Starter Disable & Built-In Remote Start Security Security

Two, Three Button Programmable RF
Transmitters
Four Channel Code Learning
Receiver
Positive & Negative Hardwire Switch
Sensing
Pulse Ground Output Before Start
Pulse Ground After Start
Pulse Ground After Remote Start
Shutdown (Relock/Rearm Factory
Alarm/Doors)
Double Siren Chirp ACK When
Remote Start Signal Received
LED Indicator For Arming,
Disarming, Armed, Int 1, Int 2, Int 3,
Valet, Also Indication Of Program
Channel and Function
Negative Trigger Input For Hood and
Trunk
Plug In Two Stage Shock Sensor
Six Tone Multi-Tone Siren
True Last Door Arming
Arm, Disarm, Defect and Intrusion
Audible and VIsual Confirmation
Arm, Disarm, Chirp Delete Software
Programmable
Audible and Visual Zone Tamper
Indication with History and Memory
Pulse Ground Output During Crank
Positive and Negative Door Lock
Outputs On Board Ignition One Relay
On Board Ignition Two Relay
On Board Accessory Relay
On Board Starter Relay
On Board Parking Light Flash Relay
Dual Wire Control
Third Ignition Control Output
Shock Inhibit While Running On
Remote (Predetect and Full Trigger)
Plug In Valet
Plug In Remote Control Switch With
Color Code Cap
Trunk Release Output
Passive Arm Selectable
Programmable Passive Lock On/Off
Programmable Auto Lock/Unlock
On/Off
Programmable Door Lock Duration 1
second/3.5 seconds
RF Programmable Run Time 10/15
minutes
RF Programmable Park Lights On,
Steady or Flash
RF Programmable Ignition Two Off/On
During Crank
RF Programmable Eight Function
Diagnostics On/Off
Plug In Two Stage Shock Sensor

Any thing wrong with a Prestige (auidovox) alarm? For the price installed and with the options..is it a wise investment? Any one have any other models around the same price that they would rather go with..or are using?

Thank You.
Old 08-16-2001, 01:04 PM

Almost all alarms with remote start come with a neutral safty switch that must be what you guys are talking about. But this was added for cars like a corvette etc.. that must be in neutral to start although the cars are automatics. It is illegal in all states to hook up a remote start to a manual. I have one in my manual I put in a mercury switch that if the contacts aren't touching the alarm senses it is in gear and won't start. But be warned if you have no safety bypass the car will drive away oooopppps rolleyes.gif . Not a bad price for that alarm though with those options and the window price is about right.
Old 08-16-2001, 01:06 PM

My mistake now that I think about it Clifford does have one, sorry for the misinformation but it is illegal unless there is a built in bypass system.
Old 08-16-2001, 01:12 PM

Next time I'll read the post fully before responding. That isn't bad but what is the warranty. I know you can get into a viper for the same price with the same features for the same price and it comes with a lifetime warranty and they will pay $500 towards your car if it gets stolen. I don't know if I would go with audiovox products but that choice is yours.
Old 08-16-2001, 01:31 PM

So whats the story on the mercury switch? Can you forward me a design so I can make myself one? So a Clifford remote start is legal then? I'm not sure how the safty feature is on it. Now thinking about it...remote start can be very dangerous!! What if.....my wife is in the shark playing around and leaves it in gear..like how a normal person would leave it...and the next morning when i leave for work...new door wall thru garage. I think after awhile it would become a habit to leave in neutral..but it's risky...if i forget. I think im gonna steer clear of remote start for now. Until if i really want it...and there's a SAFE way..then maybe..

Oh and on the brand...That was my seconf worry. So whats a good solid alarm for around 200.00-250.00ish installed with:

Battery backup
Valet
doors lock/unlock
Windows up/down
keyless entry
hood/trunk pins
Adjustable sensitivity
Motion (in-side..if windows left down)
Flashing Lights (and also strobes when I get them installed)
Kewl looking remote
Pager maybe
Ability to add opitions
Ablity to add an extra siren
Kill start......am i missing any thing?

thanks