Hyundai Veloster Forum The Hyundai Veloster Forum. Get all the questions you have about the newly unveiled Veloster answered here. Find out what makes this new model so intriguing and a highly potential tuning platform.

Test drive etiquette?

Old 11-25-2013, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Accent
Default Test drive etiquette?

Decided I want to trade in my Accent for another Hyundai. What are the OKs and NOT-so-OK things to do on a test drive?

I mean I know the obvious stuff like don't rev up the engine like a maniac etc...

What I mean is, how long can/should test drives be? My first and only test drive (my Accent) was awesome but VERY short because I was so nervous! I only took it on a 5 block radius and mostly talked with the salesman instead of paying attention to how the car felt etc . I think I was only driving in the car for like 10 minutes. Never exceeded 30mph either.

I'm going car shopping this month and am looking forward to test driving the Veloster Turbo, which I'm pretty confident will be my next car in the next couple of weeks.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:41 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

advice:

test drive needs to be long enough for you to be comfortable knowing this will be your car for many years.

drive it how you plan on driving it. don't break the law though. take it to a freeway cars behave differently at higher speeds so if you aren't satisfied with how they maneuver then back off and find another car.

research research research

don't expect nothin but lies from the dealer they aren't your friend. they are there to convince you to give them money. if they gawk at any point then go to a different dealer. for 20k+ plus bucks you are damn sure ill floor it in the course of a test drive, and do a hard break, communicate with em in advance though "gonna accelerate quickly then brake to see how it does"

get funding in advanced from a local credit union
Old 11-25-2013, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

My last sales lady was cool as hell and asked me to punch it. She wanted to see if it was quick as the trans am she had before moving to an Audi of some sort. The one thing I missed during the test drive was something screwy with the hazard light switch. On the way home it started flickering/blinking at me. Then I found out how easy it was to get out in the Gen and wasn't as annoyed. The other issues I felt/picked up on but it was still a decent deal.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I spent 2 HOURS with my last used-car purchase, including 2 salesmen accompanying me on repeated drives on the road.

If they want your money, they will put up with you kicking the tires and flooring the gas. If they don't want your money that badly, there is A.L.W.A.Y.S another car and another deal.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I drove 4 hrs to buy my Genesis. Drove about 6 miles with salesman then another 6 or so without him. Had a good feeling I was going to buy it before I drove down there but I wasn't set on the trim or color. This is a huge expense. Take your time and do whatever you need to in order to feel comfortable making such an expensive purchase. If you don't like your salesman or they're too pushy, move on.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:57 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Most of my test drives go as such:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q02BXGDSDkE[/media]

Except with less nascar.

And not quite his salary.

.. or skill
Old 11-26-2013, 10:26 AM

Vehicle: 2013 BMW 128i

Originally Posted by Tibbi
Most of my test drives go as such:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q02BXGDSDkE[/media]

Except with less nascar.

And not quite his salary.

.. or skill

So then they go absolutely nothing like that
Old 11-26-2013, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

When I test drove my 350Z and my Mustang, I told the sales guys up front that I intend to drive it like I normally would. I asked if they had a problem with that and they said no. I got both cars completely sideways a few times. Sales guys admitted they were scared and thought I was gonna crash.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Drive it like you stole it!
Old 11-26-2013, 03:40 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

When I bought my CRV, I told the salesman I needed to come back later that night with the wife, as the car was mainly for her. He handed me the keys and told me to take it home and comeback later that night, and bring the wife with me.

ok? lol. I had the CRV for a good 3 hours before going back to the dealership. We ended up buying it.

I agree with most, if the dealership doesn't let you actually test drive the car the way you want to, go somewhere else.

FYI- price on a new car is usually not negotiable (where I live anyway) but I always make sure they throw in some free oil changes, mud flaps, winter floor mats etc... It never hurts to ask, the worst they can say is no.