Hyundai Veloster Forum The Hyundai Veloster Forum. Get all the questions you have about the newly unveiled Veloster answered here. Find out what makes this new model so intriguing and a highly potential tuning platform.

Somebody fill me in. Is this crap true?

Old 03-21-2013, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2012 Veloster
Default Somebody fill me in. Is this crap true?

Ive seen this posted on Facebook like 5 times now. Can the experts tell me if its real or not? I tried to search on Google but I didnt see any myths debunking it or proving it.

TIPS ON PUMPING GAS

I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline.... but here in California we are paying up to $3.75 to $4.10 per gallon. My line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every gallon:

Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose , CA we deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline.. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.

A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. You should be pumping on low mode, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL. The reason for this is the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up; most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

To have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of gas buyers.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:42 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

At every gas pump I pump at there is a sticker on it that say's *VOLUME CORRECTED TO 15 C*
Old 03-21-2013, 01:42 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

It is somewhat true, but the differences are negligible.

The 3 stage (actually I think it's closer to 2 stage) pumping is true, had to use that when the Tibs evap was backing up. Again, on a functioning car, there should be next to no difference.

I'd be shock if the differences equated to the cost of a couple gallons of gas a year.

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up; most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.
Horse Hockey! There should be adequate filtration to prevent this, because if it's pumping silt into your car, it's all pumping through the pump itself, which is unnecessary wear on the device. I'm sure someone who knows for sure can chime in, but that sounds like paranoid BS to me.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:00 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Temperature and filling up in the arvo: untrue. The gas pumps do compensate for temperature. Do you think that the gas stations would be laissez-faire enough to just pump on volume and let the weather/seasons decide their profits? No. Think of how relatively cheap a MAF sensor is for a car, and think of the cost of a fuel pump and the potential profits involved.

I really can vouch for this, as I had to file a complaint against a gas station because I thought I was getting scammed. Independent testing bodies got involved, and I learnt a bit about how they run their stores. Quite tightly, it turns out.

Pump speed: Maybe. Keep in mind that all EFI cars have charcoal canisters to store fuel vapour pressure, so any excess pressure is likely to vent there. Additionally, I think the vapour return in the pumps is only to aid the fuel dispenser shutting off when your tank nears full - ie the return does not travel back to the underground tank, but merely to a pressure switch inside the pump.

Don't have an empty gas tank: See charcoal canister. But just don't do it so you don't burn out your fuel pump.

Don't pump when they're filling the tanks: This is actually a good bit of advice.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Originally Posted by wheel_of_steel
Temperature and filling up in the arvo: untrue. The gas pumps do compensate for temperature. Do you think that the gas stations would be laissez-faire enough to just pump on volume and let the weather/seasons decide their profits? No. Think of how relatively cheap a MAF sensor is for a car, and think of the cost of a fuel pump and the potential profits involved.

I really can vouch for this, as I had to file a complaint against a gas station because I thought I was getting scammed. Independent testing bodies got involved, and I learnt a bit about how they run their stores. Quite tightly, it turns out.
The company I work for owns fuel flats and fuel companies. We buy/sell fuel in millions of gallons annually. Temperature does have an effect on us, but only when you measure the depth of the tanks. Flow meters should be placed at the point of entry so they know the amount of fuel provided to the gas stations. There is a meter on the pumps going into your gas tank. Yes, temperature changes will cause fluctuation in the storage units but it doesn't effect the end customer as far as what goes into the tank.

Really, just live your life. Don't let this become something you think about more than once. Cars aren't blowing up left and right because they filled up while a tanker was at the gas station. Your car will be fine. Sure, the statement makes sense, but really... don't get paranoid about it.