Hyundai Veloster Forum The Hyundai Veloster Forum. Get all the questions you have about the newly unveiled Veloster answered here. Find out what makes this new model so intriguing and a highly potential tuning platform.

Polished calipers

Old 01-20-2016, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2012 Veloster
Default Polished calipers

I like the shiny chrome like look you get by polishing bare metal and was thinking about doing this to my calipers so they have this look to them

By polishing them so they are that shiny, do I have to worry about rust forming or any heat problems to cause loss of braking power? I know this is a lot of work and involved a lot of different grades of sand paper and polishing but I'm willing to put in the work to get good results.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If that is iron, like 99.953% of all brake calipers out there - yes, it will rust immediately when polished to a high shine. You might actually have it chrome plated, but that seems like a lot of work for anything other than a trailer queen.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:02 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

You could try getting high temp clear coat to spray on it after you shine it up, but I doubt the clear will last very long, which will then cause the rust to form.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:59 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

The inherent problem with polished calipers is heat dissipation. Those ugly bumps in the casting act like the fins on a radiator. This may look nice, but it's terrible for performance.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: Veloster Turbo

Originally Posted by Tibbi
The inherent problem with polished calipers is heat dissipation. Those ugly bumps in the casting act like the fins on a radiator. This may look nice, but it's terrible for performance.

I'm sorry what ugly bumps were you talking about?

The following users liked this post:
riotstick (08-13-2020)
Old 05-22-2017, 10:51 AM

Vehicle: 01/hyundai/tiburon

The ones on the caliper bracket in the first picture that were polished away on the caliper in first pic.

Good first post, your comparing apples to oranges... Those brembo's are aluminum, we were talking cast iron calipers.