Hyundai Veloster Forum The Hyundai Veloster Forum. Get all the questions you have about the newly unveiled Veloster answered here. Find out what makes this new model so intriguing and a highly potential tuning platform.

Hyundai Veloster will get a Turbo

Old 01-21-2011, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default Hyundai Veloster will get a Turbo

Veloster to get 1.6 turbo 4, DI engine producing 208 hp

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2011/01...ter-coupe.html

Unless you've been living under a rock, you know by now that Hyundai unveiled its Veloster coupe at the 2011 Detroit Motor Show. So, what's with the 'scoop' title of our post, we here you ask? Well, this here example is the European spec Veloster and it was caught undisguised by our spies in Germany ahead of its debut at the at the Geneva Salon in the beginning of March.

The only visible styling changes over the North American model concern the use of clear indicators up front, all-red tail lamps at the back and the newly styled alloy wheels. Unfortunately, our spies couldn't get close enough to the prototype to snag the interior, but don't expect to see any significant modifications other than trim and color options.

Up until now, we were in the dark about the engine lineup of the European model. However, we just learned from an official source that the Veloster will be offered with two gasoline engines including a flagship turbocharged four banger.

The Veloster will launch in Europe with the same 1.6-liter direct-injection four-banger as the NA-spec model, producing 140-horsepower and 167 Nm of peak torque for a 0-100km/h (62mph) sprint time of under 10 seconds. Power is transferred to the front wheels through a standard six-speed manual gearbox, or an optional dual-clutch transmission.

Europeans will also get a Blue Edition version that pairs the 140-horse motor with a start-stop system and some additional fuel-saving features, which help drop CO2 levels from 138 g/km to 129 g/km.

The crown jewel of the Veloster lineup will be a 1.6-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine with direct-injection technology and an output of 208-horsepower, allowing the car to complete the standard sprint in around 7 seconds. We don't know if or when Hyundai will offer this engine in North America.

The naturally aspirated models will go on sale in most European countries this April, with the UK following later in the year. The Veloster 1.6 Turbo will be added to the range in early 2012.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Hmm...high likelihood I will buy one if those specs hold true here, which they should.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

800 lbs. lighter than a Genesis Coupe?

1 door moor than a Genesis Coupe?

8-18mpg more than a Genesis Coupe?

Hatchback vs. useless trunk?

2hp less than a Genesis Coupe?

Thousands of dollars less that a Genesis Coupe?

They're gonna have to beef up the GC quite a bit! AWD and 30-50hp more
Old 01-21-2011, 01:29 PM
Administrator

I'm pretty sure before the Veloster turbo hits here the Gen Coupe will get a big boost in power. I would say at LEAST matching the 274hp in the Sonata for the 2.0t, and if I had to guess 350-375hp from a DI 3.8l.

But, I doubt they want the Veloster stepping on the toes of the Gen Coupe. In Europe they don't have to worry about that.

I am attracted to the Veloster because the Gen Coupe is too big. It's more car than I want for a daily and it's too expensive to have a track/fun only Gen Coupe on my budget.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:02 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

So, what's with the 'Scoupe' title of our post, we here you ask?
FIXT

I don't know if the Veloster will steal too many GC sales solely because of the drivetrain. The GC is attractive because it's the FR to have in that price range.

The Veloster will however make waves in the hot hatch market. It's "love it or hate it" design and attractive price especially for the performance will keep it in tuner headlines for a while.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:18 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

I really love the Turbo engine specs. The power-to-weight will be nothing short of stunning. I would buy one in a heartbeat. but the car is ugly as sin. Ugly one thing, it looks like a mush mash of parts and pieces and is not original. Give me a 2.0t 208hp GDI RD1... Who said I can't dream? All in all, I still can't wait. Way to go Hyundai.

I will state that it will be lovely having an ugly duckling whipping ass on the street!

Floyd, with all these drifters around, do you think Gen Coupe insurance is high regardless?
Old 01-21-2011, 03:33 PM
Administrator

I've never checked insurance on a Gen Coupe, but I doubt it's high. Insuring a 350z is cheaper than a GK Tiburon for example. It depends on how costly it is to repair and how often people crash them. Maybe someone with one can chime in on how it changed their insurance rates.

I don't think the Veloster is ugly at all, but it is a love it or hate it style and I'm not surprised at all that you hate it HKC lol. If I get one I've already figured out a couple appearance mods that will help make the front end look a bit less awkward.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

My brand new Genesis Coupe insurance costs the exact same as my 2009 Nissan Murano (bought new). Same coverage on both.

It's also cheaper than my 1998 Mustang was and my 2000 Tiburon.