Hyundai Veloster Forum The Hyundai Veloster Forum. Get all the questions you have about the newly unveiled Veloster answered here. Find out what makes this new model so intriguing and a highly potential tuning platform.

flat acceleration limp mode in automatic drive

Old 10-21-2014, 01:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo
Default flat acceleration limp mode in automatic drive

Big problem the car drives very good if I was 75 years old and don't put your foot down all the way.

Under maximum acceleration in automatic drive the engine reaches app. 6000rpm and then instead of switching to the next gear it drops power and I continue driving as the car is in limp mode.

We had the car checked out by Hyundai Gold Coast and the verdict "All good. There is no fault shown in the computer and the car is driving normal".

Theses were the words. I take the car for a drive and with warm engine and in automatic, hit it and sure enough here it is again. I went back to dealer complained and even took the head mechanic for a drive, hit it on the head and limp mode. He witnessed it, acknowledged it, kept the car for 2 days because the area manager wanted to drive the car. We get the car back with the comment the car "drives normal". I take the car for a drive and here is the limp mode again. I had my mechanic to go over the car and found that yes it certainly is a fault. So he supplied me a report that I gave to Hyundai as well

Complained, sent emails left right and centre. Now they saying "The car is designed to do this". To me that's an insult...AUTOMATIC and i manage to over load the engine?

The latest is we will put a "flight recorder" (this is what they call it. I would call it drive recorder because our car will not fly that's for sure) in the car for one week to see how the car is driven and to collect additional data. It takes me not even a minute to show what the car is doing there is no need for a flight recorder.

My question

Has anybody heard of a problem like that or similar?

Thanks
Old 10-21-2014, 08:36 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

You may be experiencing the limitations of the small stock turbo. By 6000, it's already choking. I've noticed this in my RSPEC 6 speed. Not to deflate your problem. There may very well be an issue. But also realize the car will not pull all the way to red line simply because the turbo was sized to spool quickly, not to have top end power. Just an OEM thing.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Describe the drop in power in relation to the shifting.

Does it drop power and hold in the gear at redline? Does it shift up, then refuse to give you power once in the next gear? How long does the power loss last? Does it just feel gutless or does it surge?
Old 10-22-2014, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by 187sks
Describe the drop in power in relation to the shifting.

Does it drop power and hold in the gear at redline? Does it shift up, then refuse to give you power once in the next gear? How long does the power loss last? Does it just feel gutless or does it surge?

It holds the gears drops power back to app 4000rpm it does not shift and on further acceleration it is just gutless.

Just took it for a drive, at 6500rpm instead of shifting up it drops to 4000rpm

it isn't doing it all the time most times it will do it. I selected manual drive and again at 6500rpm it drops power to 4000rpm and sometimes even sh*t up itself. The red line is at 6750rpm.

nothing makes sense to me.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

That seems weird. I don't have much for ideas. I think I would have to be there to have any chance at all.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Is there any chance of getting a video clip with audio of when this happens?
Old 10-23-2014, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Stocker
Is there any chance of getting a video clip with audio of when this happens?
I will make a video clip over the weekend and post it

Thanks guys so far