Hyundai Veloster Forum The Hyundai Veloster Forum. Get all the questions you have about the newly unveiled Veloster answered here. Find out what makes this new model so intriguing and a highly potential tuning platform.

CNN rips apart the Veloster -- in a bad way

Old 10-24-2011, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

pot and the kettle???

lmao! good verdict, guilty on all counts. i've searched and searched for the answer to that question and it dawned upon me one day. i love almost every design in history up until the 2000's, particularly the supercar generation. everything after the 2000's is just lame. for example. compare the old McLaren F1 to the new McLaren Mp4-12c. the Mp4-12c is faster and better but how come the value of the original has tripled and men are willing to pay twice as much for? what makes the original F1 such a gem compared to the faster, better, newer Mp4-12c? answer that and you will understand.

in the design world, there's a battle between use of space vs. aesthetic. i think shooting-box doesn't necessarily have to look great, but at least make it an icon. an example of this is the Fiat 500. it's become a part of history, assembly line had to be sped up, and formed fore additional historical successors: The Fiat 126p, Fiat Cinquecento, Fiat Seicento, Fiat 500.

look where the Fiat 500 is today. it was selling so well that they decided to sell it in the U.S., the only European car of any manufacturer to do so! on top of this, people are willing to pay > $20,000 for this powerwheel! it doesn't need all these options and overly-designed weird sculpture to become successful and although it the Veloster is bigger, faster, cheaper, with loads more options than the Fiats (or Mini Coopers, or Beetles for that matter) are eating its sales is where the Veloster ultimately fails. The fact that luxurious manufacturers like BMW, Audi, and Mercedes can put out powerwheels and Hyundai cannot, is where Hyundai needs to improve and the Veloster certainly does not accomplish that.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

The old Fiat 500 sold because it was small (fuel economy/city car) and cheap. We rented one in Spain and it was small and cheap and crappy but it got us to Point B. I'm not sure how old that car was, if it had the 13HP original or 23HP super powerful engine. Try selling THIS for $20k in the USA:

They had to spiffy it up a great deal to make it into a modern car for modern Americans, and the things they had to do to make it small and cheap on the old 500 wouldn't fly now . . . so they're a dinky little car for $20k and I predict will sell poorly in a market that includes cars as "nice" as the Accent.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

^Of course the original would not flow today, that's not what I'm pitching! I'm emphasizing that regardless comfort, quality, size, speed, it still says a lot about the power of the design and original formula that was in place to begin with. Although the Veloster out-qualifies both the Mini and Fiat, the Veloster design will never EVER match up to that.

Yesss PERFECT EXAMPLE here we are! The [freshly unveiled] Tesla SUV just reached into my brain and pulled this out!! These are the EXACT doors that I was saying that the Veloster should have had. Imagine this as the Veloster. Yuh huh. If the Veloster had this design combined with a truly iconic exterior, then I would praise it beyond belief.

Granted, kids fingers may be chopped off, or it's a bit uncomfortable for the driver when getting out, but I'm sure there are ways around that (like doors that open diagonally away, or electrical-only doors like the latest Toyota vans that stop if it detects obstructions). But I think the concept itself would outsell.