Hyundai Veloster Forum The Hyundai Veloster Forum. Get all the questions you have about the newly unveiled Veloster answered here. Find out what makes this new model so intriguing and a highly potential tuning platform.

AWD Veloster

Old 11-05-2012, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default AWD Veloster

If Hyundai ever scraps the idea or rumors of an AWD gen coupe, I'd like to see an AWD veloster turbo. I think for its size, it would do really well in sales. Plus the new rally veloster would probably own with that transmission.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I don't think an AWD genesis coupe would be all that great honestly. Just the weight added would kill it, and they would have to completely redo the drivetrain. now in the veloster... that's an idea! couple that with the sonata turbo engine, that could be a quick little car. but i still wouldn't consider it unless they made it a 2 door.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:08 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

I don't think it's possible, there is no room for a driveshaft, and definitely no room for a rear diff and axle carrier up back. An AWD version would have to be on an entirely new platform.

Besides, it's only pushing like 15s in the quarter. Cutting 0.2 seconds off the 60' time might get it into the mid 14s stock, but is it really worth spending that sort of money on a car that'd get whupped by a 15 year old Subaru Impreza?

Heck, I don't know about the states, but around here, you could pick up an immaculate R33 GT-R V spec, a low mileage Evo 8 or a low mileage WRX STi - for LESS than it costs to get a FWD veloster turbo on the road.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

They're doing AWD on the Genesis Sedan. Why wouldn't it be feasible on the coupe?
Old 11-06-2012, 06:57 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Originally Posted by wheel_of_steel
Heck, I don't know about the states, but around here, you could pick up an immaculate R33 GT-R V spec

An R33 GTs "state legal" would cost around 8-10k and last in you drive way about 6 months before ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) shows up with a tow truck and steal your car. An R? You're talking holy grail material and then your keep that beast locked up tight for fear anyone sees it and rats you out. In 2 years

Evos? An Evo 8 commands 11-12k still and is guaranteed to be a ragged out pile. Evo 9s are also in the 14-15k range and probably just as worn out.

As for an AWD Veloster, that would be cool but I don't see how they would fit a rear dif and larger tunnel but still keep the back seats. IF they co that route it will need a 2 liter as well.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:07 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster

I would LOVE to see an AWD V and also think it would sell very well if Hyundai made it. I would trade mine in at the dealer in a second for it. Not sure how they would manufacturer it but one can dream that it would be made though.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:43 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Evos? An Evo 8 commands 11-12k still and is guaranteed to be a ragged out pile. Evo 9s are also in the 14-15k range and probably just as worn out.

Well, y'all have a different car market to here. Don't worry about Skylines, they are yachts anyway.

Still, considering that list price on a base FWD veloster turbo is 22k, you can get some absolutely delicious late model machinery for less than the cost of getting a regular VT on the road. I would imagine that if they managed to make an AWD version, it'd command at least 5k over the FWD. 27k is big biccies for a 14 second hatch with a bad case of understeer.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

with the platform of the V, there is no way to really do an AWD setup. You wouldn't be able to fit indy rear suspension in the back of the car, much less a driveshaft with indy rear suspension. The current platform just wont support it.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

So is the rally Veloster still FWD?