Hyundai Veloster Forum The Hyundai Veloster Forum. Get all the questions you have about the newly unveiled Veloster answered here. Find out what makes this new model so intriguing and a highly potential tuning platform.

2013 Hyundai Veloster Turbo vs. 2013 Scion FR-S Comparison Test

Old 07-30-2012, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2012 Veloster
Default 2013 Hyundai Veloster Turbo vs. 2013 Scion FR-S Comparison Test

Sporty Vs. Sports

We came away from the Veloster Turbo disappointed. It's not a convincing sporting proposition, rather a package that trades heavily on its funky styling and unusual asymmetry. We want to believe that the Veloster Turbo would brighten up substantially with better tires and a limited-slip differential, but more likely the low-rent beam-axle rear suspension is at the root of the Veloster's dynamic shortcomings, and not even the most exotic concoction of carbon, silica and gears will help it.

The Scion FR-S is quickly becoming the default choice when cost and fun are the priorities. By nailing the fundamentals of the package, the Scion has shown that engaging dynamics need not be out of reach of the common man, and in doing so has put other automakers on watch.

The rear-drive dogma is rooted in truth. The Scion FR-S wins our comparison test.

http://www.insideline.com/scion/fr-s...ison-test.html

Old 07-30-2012, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

15.6 really? 16.4 if you forget to take TC off...
Old 07-30-2012, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Now, compare the POS Fan Boi FR-S to a Gen Coupe... no contest. Genesis win on performance and price.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:47 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Having the Veloster go up against the new tC would have been a better comparison lol
Old 07-31-2012, 07:26 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

I'm genuinely disappointed.

Heh, looks like it remained true to its s-coupe GT roots... a bit undercooked.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 97' Hyundai Coupe

I knew that the veloster is slow for 200 ponies, but I didn't know that tib with some n/a mods can beat it in 1/4 mile

All new models are f.... slow for their hp !!!
Old 08-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

so irritated at these comparisons.. why are they comparing a FWD hatch to a RWD coupe anyway?

The only thing they have in common is they are around the same price (VT still cheaper, even loaded) and both 200hp.. Misewell compare them all together with any other ~200hp vehicle in the market around 25k$.

They should be comparing the VT to a GTI, tC, focus ST or something and the FRS to the Gcoupe.. maybe they didn't want to ruin the fan boy image that the FRS/BRZ has by crushing it with a GCoupe?

Motor trend tested the VTurbo and:

At the dragstrip, the Veloster Turbo separated itself from its naturally aspirated sibling, recording a 6.9-second 0-to-60 mph time on to 15.2 seconds at 93.4 mph in the quarter mile.

much better than inside lines test..

I guess my best suggestion with the Vturbo is you really have to drive one to get a feel for the car.. After having my N/A tib, then boosted tib, stock SRT-4 and modded SRT-4, I'd have to say I like the Vturbo much more.

It isn't as fast as the tib or the SRT-4 was but it is much smoother. The car is plenty quick in stock form to get out of its own way and my mpg average for the last 850 miles (yes I have 850 miles already) is 32mpg.. That is quite a lot considering when on cruise control I am @80mph and the mountain road runs I have done..

Maybe I am just trying to defend the car or maybe it is the fact I can't stand all the people getting a hard on over the FR-S/BRZ.. You can get an Rspec 2.0t Gcoupe for less cash than a base BRZ and have more power, bigger back seat, more cargo room and a faster vehicle... not to mention I think the Gcoupe is better built and it has a better warranty..
Old 08-01-2012, 02:47 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I think I'm going to do a veloster turbo versus pickup truck comparison
Old 08-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

Originally Posted by Visionz
Having the Veloster go up against the new tC would have been a better comparison lol

EXACTLY.. (i know the comment was slightly sarcastic) a much more fair comparison in my opinion..

both FWD, both hatchback, both have close to the same power, both close to the same size..

comparing a base Vturbo to a similarly equipped tC and you are at about the same price..

yet the Vturbo gets better mpg, weighs over 200 lbs less, has more power, not to mention more cargo space, etc.

but instead they compare apples and oranges instead of apples n apples..
Old 08-02-2012, 12:00 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ronU4dyK-8

I think the point here, is that there is a finesse to the handling that is simply not present in the GC nor VT.

It is present in the FT-86

It is present in the miata

Dragstrip performance does not matter here, as long as it runs something under a 16.5 second quarter, that's more than enough to have fun.

more power, bigger back seat, more cargo room

This should not be a deciding factor in the purchase of a sports coupe.