Hyundai Veloster Forum The Hyundai Veloster Forum. Get all the questions you have about the newly unveiled Veloster answered here. Find out what makes this new model so intriguing and a highly potential tuning platform.

2012 Hyundai Veloster First Drive(s)

Old 09-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default 2012 Hyundai Veloster First Drive(s)

Inside Line

We've been driven in the Veloster before and even drove an early prototype in Europe. But this is the real thing, and what we experience here is what will be on dealer lots.

Carving through hairpin switchbacks scrawled on either side of the Columbia River, we find the 2012 Hyundai Veloster's suspension more willing than its benign engine. In the curves, it's settled and balanced, with plenty of warning leading up to the limit (consisting mostly of manageable understeer). The Achilles' heel in this package is the torsion-beam rear suspension; a carryover from the economical Elantra on which it is based. And really, those shortcomings are only apparent when setting up a turn under hard braking. Big weight shifts will move the rear end, but there's ample control.

The electronic nannies are also well tuned. As we skirted the Veloster's performance envelope, stability control never once intervened. In reality, we doubt most owners will push to these limits. It's more likely that they'll tie curves together without going wide open and threshold braking between. In this regard, the sporty hatchback delivers. We can thank Dave Dutko, senior chassis engineer, for the Veloster's balance of comfort and athleticism — something distinctly lacking in the European prototype we previously drove.

Dutko admitted that suspension tuning continued right up to a month before launch, and one of the biggest challenges was to get his Korean counterparts to agree to a stiffer setup. Hyundai allows different markets to customize chassis tuning. Korea gets a softer and floaty ride, while Stateside, we enjoy a moderately stiff setting. Europe, apparently, will have an even firmer version, which probably explains the stiff-riding prototype we drove there.

http://www.insideline.com/hyundai/ve...t-drive-1.html

Autoblog

The heart of the interior is the seven-inch LG touchscreen, which comes standard whether you pony up for navigation or not. The display governs everything from the base six-speaker audio system (which itself includes standard satellite radio, iPod input and Gracenote music identification) to vehicle settings and Bluetooth telephony. What's more, Hyundai has included an RCA cable so you can play videos from your smartphone or hook up a video game console when parked (a 115-volt outlet is optional). You can diddle with personalization settings like wallpaper, color schemes and varying welcome chimes, or opt-in to play fuel economy games that let you see how your performance stacks up against other Veloster drivers. No, we're not kidding.

That last bit is made possible by Blue Link, Hyundai's new embedded telematics system that doesn't require a tethered mobile phone. Like General Motors' OnStar, it's a subscription-based setup with tiered services. The most basic level, Blue Link Assurance ($79/year), bundles features like monthly vehicle reports with an SOS assistance button and automatic crash notification. The next Blue Link package up, Essentials ($179/year), keeps the aforementioned functions but adds services like remote door unlocking, advanced vehicle diagnostics, voice text messaging and location sharing through Facebook(!), along with a brace of safeguards like stolen vehicle slowdown, location and immobilization. There are even parental-minded items like speed alert, curfew alert and "geo-fencing," which will automatically text, email, or call when your little snowflake takes the car to a friend's house that they're not allowed to visit. If you pony up for the full-house Blue Link Guidance package ($279/year), it adds on services like traffic and weather, voice activated point-of-interest searches, restaurant ratings, and so on.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/19/2...ad-test-video/
Old 09-19-2011, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I almost drove one on Saturday. But, the good news is that they've made it to dealer lots around here. :-)
Old 09-19-2011, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

The taillight assembly (the two screws and plastic mold) looks exactly like the 1996 Elantra Wagon. It's just two screws and the whole thing pops out. It's nice that they haven't changed some of those techniques for the last 15 years. Really shows how innovative and sturdy the 90's designs were apart from what people perceive.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:00 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

I don't know if I could stand having Optimus Prime constantly staring at me while I drive..
Old 09-20-2011, 11:47 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

The white one on the right is pure sex. Good God, I seriously may have to go test drive one here very soon!
Old 09-28-2011, 01:08 AM

Thanks to carenthusiast, i now know the answers to all of my questions regarding this car:

carenthusiast.com:

Hyundai doesn't expect to sell the Veloster in big numbers, at all - probably around 5,500 a year in the UK and around 20,000 in Europe. It sees the primary target market as 25-30 year olds, and the secondary market 40-50 year old women, specifically.

it's a way better value than the Mini Cooper in all aspects, but the Cooper will have probably doubled in sales because despite everything wrong with it, the Cooper is not an eyesore. i find it strange that they claimed the Genesis dip was beneficial to increase visibility, while they flung the line upwards in this one contradicting themselves.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:44 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ8ZbdfHM2c

nice little review. i'd love to see it eviewed head to head against its competitors like the Genesis Coupe was when it first came out.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:30 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Elantra

I drove one yesterday, (decked out, sticker price 21K, moonroof, yada yada). My reference point is my 2011 Elantra. My reaction? Cute "kid car". No backup camera. No GPS. The electronics are not as elegent ... the sound system is excellent but not as good, (to my ears), as my Elantra. Less room and no pickup, (compared to my Elantra). I was REALLY surprised at the lack of pickup because it is and felt smaller. I suppose 10hp less makes a difference. The shift paddles in the wheel are nice, (should be an option/standard in the Elantra). The ride was choppy and for my taste, compared to my Elantra, the seats were not as comfortable. Bottom line? I was not impressed, especially since it is rated 2 mpg less, (38 vs. 40). Visiting with the salesman, I could have bought it using my 2011 Elantra as a trade for 1K. For me, it was not even close to worth it. Just sharing my reaction.

Warm Regards

KarlT