Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Who road races or autocrosses their tib?

Old 08-19-2010, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default Who road races or autocrosses their tib?

I know we have a race section but it is not model specific. And anyone who races knows that handlign and performance modifications affect different models differently.
So give the specs of your tiburon including modifications
Where you race and which sanctioning body
What class you are running
And if you are not ashamed what you typically place.
I just got my tib it is an '01 tib with stock 2.0 5 speed. AEM DRY FLOW filter on a CAI, stainless header, everything else is stock minus the real veilside body kit (All except the AEM DRY FLOW came with the car). And I typically run in NASA or SCCA events here in Ohio. I haven't spent enough time in the drive seat of the tib to feel ready to autocross but running in my buddies 91 Civic I placed in top 5 out of 20 for combined club event which I think is pretty good for it not being my car.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I have autocrossed the Tib. I ran it with the NWR SCCA in DSP as well as some local clubs in various classes. I didn't place well, maybe 1/3 from the bottom of 100 or so entries. Mods at the time were CAI, catback, D/S rotors, and Tein S-Tech springs. I was still on the stock tires, which did not like running autox. The biggest issue for me is that I tend to give steering inputs a little late for the Tib. That causes the Accent I normally autox to rotate, it causes the Tib to push leading to me either slaughtering cones or running much slower than the car is capable of. This is a driver issue, not a car issue. I just had trouble switching off between 2 cars that handle so differently. The Tib would serve me fine on a road course, as long as I was ready for each element the handling was excellent.