Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Wheel Bearing/Clutch/Other Parts, 1998 Tiburon

Old 09-14-2012, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Wheel Bearing/Clutch/Other Parts, 1998 Tiburon

Hey guys,

New to the forum, heard there is some great info here. I just got a 1998 Tiburon, love it. Needs a new clutch soon though along with a wheel bearing. I found some parts on RockAuto.com and was wondering what you guys think as far as solid OEM replacements go. I'm not looking for anything fancy, I'm not gonna track it or really modify it that much at all.

I've linked a pic of my card so far. There aren't really product links on RockAuto, kind of weird.

I'm also looking at some anti-sway bars, I figure the one in the engine bay should be enough but I'm also possibly interested in a rear one (if possible on this car). Any suggestions? Can't really figure out where to start on RockAuto for those, every kind of bar search comes up with parts and bushings and what not.

And lastly, if anyone happens to conveniently know a good mechanic in the Greater Toronto Area that's fair and honest and does good work, I wouldn't mind a recommendation. No experience with this car at all and I haven't really had a steady mechanic in the past.

Thanks in advance for the help all.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:07 PM

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this, or maybe the title isn't clear enough lol
Old 09-19-2012, 09:36 AM

Over 600 views and not even ONE response? No one even has an opinion?

Anyway, I have time before I get it on the road. I'm glad I didn't need these parts in the next few days.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:42 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I've gotten wheel bearings before for cheap from advance auto (pep boys, auto zone, whatever you prefer), but you need a press to install them.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:14 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

you need a press to install them.

Do you really? I thought you just need a breaker bar and the bearings pop out.

Sorry hv6478 I haven't any idea.... I have eibach sway bars. I'm not sure what other options there are. I know H&R has some bars but they might have stopped producing them.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:21 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yeah, definitely check out Advanced Auto Parts...usually cheaper than Rockauto as long as you find a 30-40% off coupon (which are very common). Just google for their coupons and you'll find one. Usually free shipping too.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:37 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Originally Posted by HyundaiKitCoupe

IIRC yes, you need a press. At least that's how I've always done mine, maybe that was overkill.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:43 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

honestly with a 98 you probably have captive rotors, itd make life a little easier by wapping to a noncaptive setup(look for spindles from a 00+ some 99s have it but you are better off lookin for 00)

expecially since you gotta pull all that sh*t off to replace the bearing anyways

if you are really feelin froggy you can look up my BBK while you have it all apart and do that too

then you get 20 minute brake jobs, a bbk, and way less headaches if you ever do anything up front in the future

captive rotors suck bfdd

and although this can turn out to either be a plus or a minus, spindles will come with bearings already installed, although they could be bad and youll replace em down the road anyways
Old 09-22-2012, 01:46 AM

Thank you very much to all!

Originally Posted by OTECTom
I've gotten wheel bearings before for cheap from advance auto (pep boys, auto zone, whatever you prefer), but you need a press to install them.

Will definitely check them out.

Originally Posted by HyundaiKitCoupe

Sorry hv6478 I haven't any idea.... I have eibach sway bars. I'm not sure what other options there are. I know H&R has some bars but they might have stopped producing them.

I've heard there is a lot of trouble finding sway bars for the tibs. I've always loved the idea of them. She isn't too bad at cornering as it is, but I know it can be better.

Originally Posted by onecrazyfoo4u
Yeah, definitely check out Advanced Auto Parts...usually cheaper than Rockauto as long as you find a 30-40% off coupon (which are very common). Just google for their coupons and you'll find one. Usually free shipping too.

Awesome thank you.

Originally Posted by faithofadragon
honestly with a 98 you probably have captive rotors, itd make life a little easier by wapping to a noncaptive setup(look for spindles from a 00+ some 99s have it but you are better off lookin for 00)

expecially since you gotta pull all that sh*t off to replace the bearing anyways

if you are really feelin froggy you can look up my BBK while you have it all apart and do that too

then you get 20 minute brake jobs, a bbk, and way less headaches if you ever do anything up front in the future

captive rotors suck bfdd

and although this can turn out to either be a plus or a minus, spindles will come with bearings already installed, although they could be bad and youll replace em down the road anyways

I may look into this but in all honesty I'm only planning on having the car for a couple of years, so it may not be worth it.

As far as the parts themselves go, I re-priced on RockAuto for all EXEDY stuff and it came up even cheaper. Is EXEDY really as good or better than OEM for that price?

I'm going to price out on Advanced Auto as well and compare. I'm not sure if they ship to Canada, but if they do and it's a cheaper bill then I'm all for it.

As far as the installation goes, I was planning on finding a mechanic to do both the bearing and the clutch and then certify her for me. Those 2 things in particular I figured I shouldn't tackle myself. I have basic knowledge with cars but I'd rather leave this very important stuff to someone else. Just don't want to get shafted lol!