Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

What's Your A/f Read?

Old 08-08-2006, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 06 suby impreza outback sport

mine reads really steady at stoich and rich; reads one on rich and two on stoich. it doesn't really bounce back and forth like others and all my buddie's think it's odd or is it a tib thing for it to be steady. help me out. i have it connected right.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:00 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

moving to general performance...
Old 08-08-2006, 05:24 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

You are right where you want to be. I will assume that you have the auto meter LED gauge with the red/amber/green lights?

I have a digital wideband with datalogging and I am usually pretty lean at idle and light throttle (14-15:1) due to my hi cams. But WOT I am around 12.6:1, a little on the safe side. The leanest you want to run is 13:1 on an NA car, I would suggest running higher octane as well if you want to run that close to the edge.

You are probably running off of the stock narrowband sensor right? Get a wideband, I think you can pick em up for under a 100 bucks from the web, look for a bosch sensor.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:13 PM

all of my buddie's bounces back and forth and corrects itself. they all have different sorts of cars to and i'm the only one that reads steady.

one of my buddies told me widebands aren't good for daily street driving. he said you could wear out O2's like that, is it true?
Old 08-08-2006, 11:01 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

No your friend doesnt know what hes talking about, a wideband doesnt use the stock O2 sensor like the craptastic narrowband "AFR" meter, which means you wont fry your stock 02 sensor with shitty wiring/crappy gauge as some say narrowband's can do. Also, since the autometer interrupts the signal going to the ECU, it can alter the voltage reading making your AFR slightly wrong robbing performance

Not to mention the AFR "readout" of your autometer wont help one bit as far as fuel tuning or even checking to make sure your engine is operating fine. Its just a light show that is worthless, if your friends actually try to tune cars with a narrowband and think widebands are a waste of money you need to tell them they are retarded and they need to learn more about cars.

My AEM tells me the EXACT AFR my car is experiencing at that time, your narrowband is just distracting you from the road with a light show. lmao.gif

If your really stubborn and you dont want to get rid of that gauge it sounds like you tapped into the heater wire of the 02 sensor wires and your just reading voltage through the heater circuit. If you want to know for sure and youve already hacked up your wires, disconnect the wire you tapped into, if your car runs like crap for 2 minutes after starting it cold then runs fine, you tapped into the heater wire, if your car runs like crap even after warming up-you tapped into the sensor signal (assuming you tapped into the white wires) and your gauge doesnt even give you a proper light show.

The oscilating light show is not absent in our cars, a "proper readout" of a narrowband afr meter should oscilate, as thats how the ECU corrects the fuel trim, it tries to keep it in between rich and lean.

just curious, whats the assortment of "different sorts of cars" these guys have? im guessing; Civic, Probe, Cavalier, Grand Am.

Close? laugh.gif
Old 08-09-2006, 12:25 AM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

^^^ I second that, but damn, you didn't have to be so harsh alex laugh.gif , lol.

Just make it easy on yourself and get a digital wideband setup, and well if you have a wideband setup, you better at least have or plan to have some method of tuning your a/f ratio. SAFC II is the worst way, but slightly effective, then you have fuel pressure regulators, smt-6, etc.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:38 AM

LoL dont take me the wrong way, it was a lighthearted post, I meant what i said but i wasnt trying to be mean about it, i know it can seem like it the way i say some things lol.

Tried to add some smilies in there so yall knew i wasnt bashing wink1.gif
Old 08-09-2006, 10:08 PM

i think i tapped into the blue wire. all i know is i used a wire checker to do it.

btw, my buddie's have a mx-3 w/ a probe gt V6 motor turbo, honda civic turbo, old school supra turbo, eclipse turbo and a non turbo. so there is a variety of cars.

some of the cars are tuned.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:15 PM
Banned

well my AFR read alot.. idling.. like 14.70-15.10... driving normal.. 15.4ish-16ish..under load... 13.50-14ish.. under WOT and boosting alot.. 11.80-12.1ish..

lol

get a wideband seriously.. thos lil light things, teh suxors.. well not ALL of em.. but just get a cheap wideband, get some tuning stuff and call it a day..
Old 08-09-2006, 10:36 PM

lol dude if they are tuning turbo engines with narrowband's its even funnier.