Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Vinyl wrapping

Old 08-12-2016, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Veilside Tibby
Default Vinyl wrapping

i'm sad to say it but my cars paint is starting to not look as fresh as i would like it to be. my options are to either have it repainted for almost 2 thousand, buying vinyl and wrapping the car myself for around $300 or having a place plastidip it for $800. I dont like the idea of plastidip because that just seems cheap and poor taste to me even though its a hot trend in the car scene. i would love to have it repainted but 2 grand is out of my budget right now. so the logical thing would be to buy the vinyl and wrap the car. i know this process takes an incredible amount of patience and there will be a lot of wasted vinyl so i have to buy tons of extra. i know i have to do one body panel at a time but im a perfectionist at heart and dont want there to be any bubbles or wrinkles. i have a couple of heat guns already so im a step forward in the process. people who have done this themselves i have a couple of questions.

1. would you say its a simple process once you get the hang of doing a couple of panels?

2. i would buy the best vinyl you can get for this so it wouldnt be cheap and thin. it will be thick and have air pockets to prevent bubbles and to form around areas that may be tough. im worried about the hard angles and cutting the vinyl without scratching the underneath paint. is this a good concern to have or am i worrying too much about it since i will have high quality vinyl?

3. any tips or advice you can share? better if there is anyone who has wrapped their rd1 or rd2.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:12 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97' Hyundai Coupe

My advice don't waste your time !!! Plasti diped my rims and at around 130mph two of them decided they have enough ! After that just from the sun they lost the color and went almost white ?!? My hood scoop, mirrors and hood scoop were also plasti diped. Same sh*t...

Friend have similar issues with vynils.

I painted my front bumper with spray can with original paint and I can tell you if you take your time is not that hard to do it almost perfect.

p.s. I can upload pics if you want to see what I'm talking about