Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

v6 pistons in a 4 cycl.

Old 05-24-2001, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Custom Wagon
Default v6 pistons in a 4 cycl.

I was just wondering are the pistons in the v6 bigger. Then the ones in the four banger? If so could you have your engined bored out to install these pistons and would it be worth it?
Old 05-25-2001, 01:20 AM
Red

There are several problems when "swapping pistons" between to dissimilar motors.

If you want to overbore for cheap, just get the standard Hyundai overbore pistons. The BETA motors have five different sizes of pistons you can order from HMA...

You can get them in:
Stock size
0.25mm Overbore
0.50mm Overbore
0.75mm Overbore
1.00mm Overbore

The further you overbore your motor, the thinner the cylinder walls become. Hence, if you want to really create stupid amounts of horsepower, it's not a good idea to go all-out with the bore.

The Endyn pistons will be built for a 0.50mm overbore in mind -- enough to clean up any scratches or spots in the existing walls, along with a good hone. But not enough to make the walls so thin as to start causing problems in the future...

-Red-
Old 05-25-2001, 02:07 AM

Vehicle: Custom Wagon

Hey Red thanks for the info man. I was just kickin around ideas yesterday and that popped in so I was just wondering if it would work or not.
Old 05-25-2001, 03:54 AM

yo Red is there a web addy for HMA?? do you know the prices off hand for the overbore pistons and are they any good?
Old 05-25-2001, 04:23 AM
Red

The pistons that Hyundai Motor America sells are just a stock piston that's slightly larger. You can go to your dealership and order them from there, it's a standard Hyundai stock item.

I think it was going to be about $25 for each piston if I remember correctly, and you'll need someone to overbore your block and hone it all out correctly.

If you aren't familiar enough with engines to pull the motor out of the car, strip it down to the bare parts, and just send the block and pistons to a machine shop, then it will probably cost you many hundreds of dollars for someone to do it for you.

The extra 0.1L of displacement you'd get from a 1mm overbore likely isn't worth the $600 it would cost you to have it done -- that is, unless you can pull the motor apart (and put it back together) yourself.

Besides, if you're going to deal with overbored pistons, you might as well get something other than a stock set. Stock pistons that are oversized will not be any stronger than the ones you have now -- might as well buy a forged set from RPW ($550 upwards) HKS ($1000) HVE ($675) or Endyn ($450).

The Endyn pistons will be more suited for boost, the others I have no real information on.

-Red-