Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Ummm Stop...ummm Help

Old 04-16-2005, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright,

A question out to the people smarter than me, that should encompass about everyone.

I'm driving down the road today, start approaching a red light, I go to brake, and the brakes are working, but my car won't decelerate so it keeps going at about 25 mph's, I go to pull the e-brake but took a look around and I have way to much traffic around me, i look at the side coming traffic, and with no one coming and punch down the accelerator and blow thru the red light, pull a very hard right into the walmart parking lot, drop the car to neutral, and then just brake until I come to a stop.

Turned the car off, gave my license, id, and insurance card to the cop that walked up to my window, signed my ticket, started the car back up with no incident. Don't ask where the cop came from, i don't know, he just stuck his head next to my window and asked for my stuff, then an explaination. Oh well.

Anyone got any idea what would cause this?

Brake
Old 04-16-2005, 10:46 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

check for brake fluid leaks

check for vaccum leaks in the master cylinder

bleed the brake lines

tow it to the dealer
Old 04-16-2005, 10:59 AM

Did you get a brake warning light on the dash? How about the pedal, did it go all the way to the floor?

With a ticket for running a red light hanging over your head, I would definatly take it to a shop so you at least have some verifiable paperwork stating your car did have a problem with the brakes and that is why you ran the red light.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:28 AM

Dude, why are there always cops around when you least expect them. lol.gif

That's bad dude. Did you feel anything while pressing the pedal, or was it just 'dead'.

Must have been a scary situation, not able to brake. Hope that doesn't happen to me *chivers*
Old 04-16-2005, 01:17 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BrakeRP @ Apr 16 2005, 07:40 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I go to brake, and the brakes are working, but my car won't decelerate
<div align='right'><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div></div>

What do you mean? So do you brakes work?

Check brake fluid, brake pads.

Did you brake hard before that? If you did you could heat your rotors and pads very much and they could lose eficiency (but it should be temporary).
Old 04-16-2005, 02:21 PM

The brakes were working, its wasn't an issue of having no brakes.

The issue was the car (an auto) was not downshifting. Even with the brake to the floor, the brakes were trying to stop the car, but the car still wanted to keep moving, like a stuck accelerator but no pressure on the pedal itself. Thats why once I got into the parking lot I put it into neutral so the drive tran wasn't producing anything.

It really wasn't to scary, it'd been different if when I ran that light there was traffic trying to go through it, i'm just lucky it was clear I guess.

Rich Brake
Old 04-16-2005, 02:31 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

Since he said the brakes worked is it possible that his TPS has gone to hell and his car was getting enough gas to counteract his braking?
Old 04-16-2005, 04:19 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Most cars don't have enough power to overcome the stock braking system... ex. If you stomp the gas and brakes the car is going to slow down, and still slow down rather fast.

But even then if the car was revving on its own, when you put it in neutral it would have revved to redline on its own.
Old 04-16-2005, 05:50 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^ I agree, if it was a TPS or something forcing the car to accelerate, then when you put the car in neutral it would of been bouncing off the rev limiter.

This happened to me in my old ford tempo. I pushed in the cluch and the tach was just topping out. I was afraid the motor was gonna blow. It did stop on its own and I never was able to reproduce that (it was a year or more before I sold the car and it never did it again).

All my cars have been manual though, but I would assume it would do the same thing.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:32 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

you need to amplify your info a little !!

1. when was your last brake job ?? or last time the car was even in the shop !!

2. as you were braking, did the pedal feel very hard to push, I mean, did it feel like it was not moving or did it fall to the floor

3. when you put it in neutral in the parking lot to finally come to a stop, did you have full braking ability ??? i mean was it back to normal, or still the same when as you slowed to a stop ??

my guess is no brake pads, or an air bubble in the line or a clogged line, or no fuid in the resevoir