Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Twin Engine Tiburon

Old 07-09-2002, 04:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep smile.gif thats exactly it.

they do have open diffs, unless they changed them, hmmm, I doubt it!

being a straight car for all we know then welded the two shafts together tongue.gif

its not a true AWD, its just an open diff Front Engine FWD and a open diff Rear Engine Rear wheel drive.

alos, in a real awd, when you shift gears, no power is going to any wheels.
in the TE tiburon, your front automatic may shift 5mph ahead of the read, and specially when you are in a power turn, that can be disaster.

last I talked to mycintyre they were using two seprate TCMs and they shifted close. a going goin 30mph is going 30mph rear or front. but shifts can be off, remember fuzzy logic.

also, now that I am typing I remember, they manual shift the auto with the auto shifter (I got one if anyone wants to buy it).

I would tie both trannys into one TCM to be honest.

Acutally I figured out an easy way to do it with a manual. if it was street legal I would do it smile.gif
but probably in an accent, betas in the front and rear smile.gif 90hp fwd becomes 280hp awd and it would be pretty well balanced.

engines in front and back, fuel cell in middle smile.gif
Old 07-09-2002, 07:33 PM

The reason he said it cost so much on paper is because everything went through the dealership. Everything they bought cost an arm and a leg, but more importantly, they had to pay up the ass for every man hour that was put into figuring out how the hell that worked. It may not be a true AWD but it really is an engineering marvel. Spending a couple of years slowly figuring out how to do that, learning from your mistakes, leads to a pretty high number.

I do actually remember him giving me a price that they could perform the swap for, and it was nowhere near that price. I couldn't tell you since it was so long ago, but they were offering to perform the same transplant for a pretty penny. Although McIntyre Hyundai closed down, Dragon Fab is still lurking around. They don't have a shop yet, last I heard, but they're doing some work out of a motorcycle shop in El Paso, soon hoping to open their own shop.
Old 07-09-2002, 10:53 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Elantra

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Shadohh:
Acutally I figured out an easy way to do it with a manual. if it was street legal I would do it smile.gif
but probably in an accent, betas in the front and rear smile.gif 90hp fwd becomes 280hp awd and it would be pretty well balanced.

engines in front and back, fuel cell in middle smile.gif</div>How would you make it with 2 manual trans? Tell me!
Old 07-10-2002, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

To make it work with 2 manual trannies, you would have to figure out a *reverse* shift linkage setup. Basically, you would have to rig something up that would shift Both transmisions into 1st at the same time.

The setup is actually quite cheap. Their setup probably cost them less than 6-7K to do.

Front Clip from autotranny tibby/elantra $1500
2 turbo's $1000
Weld turbo flange to stock exhaust manifold $200 for both
Mount second engine in trunk. ($1500)
Redo rear supension/hubs with parts from front clip $500 (labor)
Fabricate tubing from turbo to TB $200 (both)
Methanol injection setup $1000 to $2000 (for both)
Fabricate exhaust...$300 to $500.

No intercoolers are needed. No electronic wizardy is needed. Each ECU runs each engine. The added methanol cools the intake air charge, and also provides the extra fuel for the boost/turbo. No upgrading injectors or fooling with the ECU's needed.

A large number of the parts probably came into their shop used or off junked/crashed cars. The probably put down the cost of *new* parts on their tax/business forms, but I'd bet you they used parts laying around.

Think about it guys. If you were going to spend $90,000 on this setup, wouldn't you have used better parts that crap OEM stuff? No way this cost them $90k. $10k tops. Since Michael McIntyre did the majority of the work himself, there was no labor cost involved in most of it.
Old 07-10-2002, 06:04 AM

Alright in this setup, besides the body work what is gonna cost the most, im guessing the engine right? So how much would a nicely working engine cost nowadays, used/unused...I have someone thats willing to sell it to me for 1-2Gs...good price? same year as mine infact she bought it a couple months AFTER me.
Old 07-10-2002, 06:26 AM
Red

If you wanna make the drive to BFE New Mexico, I've got a used 1997 2.0L engine that runs fairly well. It's got 100k on the clock, perfect piece for someone's *Madd Boost* buildup project. But even if ya just wanted to throw it in an Accent right now and drive it, the motor runs just fine.

I do NOT want to ship this damn thing, it weighs more than Joel and I combined. Someone bring three benjamins and you can leave with a motor in hand
Old 07-10-2002, 06:30 AM

Goddang! What I wouldn't do...however I live in Alaska...the cost of gas alone would fly into the range of where the motor I've been offered is going....
Old 07-10-2002, 01:00 PM

New question, is the twin engine setup worth the added weight? How much does a BetaII Engine weigh? And you know how our internals require replacements right...what if each engine has 500hp (1000hp total) then would i need to do internal replacements = to what would be needed for 500hp or 1000hp?
Old 07-10-2002, 01:18 PM

I am not posting under this topic any more....

this is getting silly...
Old 07-10-2002, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Oh, one major cost I left out of the above figures. Both auto trannies were upgraded by Level10. That adds $3000 (1500 each) to the total, so call it $10,000 total cost.

9o7TiB7o9
Stop and think for a moment man.

The Twin engine tibby did a 10.96 1/4 mile on crappy tires on a crappy drag strip. With automatic trannies and a only 315 to the wheels from each engine(630 HP total).

For 500 HP per engine, you'd need to do some serious work to beef up the chassis/frame, suspension, upgrade the axles, and then sink about 10,000 into EACH motor. You're looking at a 30 to 40k investment.

We all like to dream big, but for $40,000, forgetaboutit.