Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Turn Key = Nothing?!?!

Old 10-04-2007, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I won't bore you all with the details, but lets just say it involved removing my front bumper on a busy street in rush hour traffic to get my car on a flatbed to get it home....

Checked all fuses and relays....

J (Pink) _-_ 30A _-_ Ignition power source

^^Blew, so I swapped in the one from the A/C condenser, drove for another 20 minutes, and it blew again. Any idea what the causes would be? I'm going to try and get it to the dealership on Saturday, but I just want to have an idea of what the problem is.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:46 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

check right at the steering column where the wires are ran for (im assuming) an alarm. I had a short there on one of my Tiburons a while back. Its going to cost a ton at a dealership for them to throw some tape on it. try to track it down. Your looking for a short to ground somewhere under the dash most likely. When you hit a bump or whatever it touches and kills the car.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:08 AM

Cool, I'll check it out when I get home. I was really hoping I didn't have to remove any of the dash pieces...I always end up scratching them...lol...
Old 10-04-2007, 04:26 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0t

Your worried about scratching DASH peices!!!!!???

Dude you took your bumper off in th e middle of a street!!!

Dear God, how is it!?
Old 10-04-2007, 04:34 PM

The bumper is 4 bolts and slides off. It only took 5 minutes total to get it unbolted and onto the grass.

I'm going to go out and see if I can track down the problem. I doubt I'll find it unless its blatently obvious.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:24 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

precussive maintenance... buy a bunch of fuses, then start smacking the wires around until you figure out which one... It will work, it's easy. it might cause damage though.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:27 PM

Why do I get the feeling that the relays are going to cost more than a box of spare fuses...
Old 10-04-2007, 06:41 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They're not relays, they're fusable links... really big fuses.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:42 PM

Ya, but they arent exactly cheap either. You would be surprised at how obvious it could be. In my case, there was a wire that wore through by the column. I got under there to look and theres a bare wire right next to the thing. some tape and i was good to go
Old 10-05-2007, 07:07 AM

Vehicle: car

Well you can see if the engine fuses are broken, you just look through the little clear piece on the top. If your horn works, you can swap the horn relay with the starter relay.

As for the non starting, it is a stick, right? I just had the same problem with Fresh97's rd1. Turned the key to hear an unpleasant "Click". I checked the battery, 7 years old and dead, so I replaced it. No luck. Then went in the car and checked the sensor under the clutch pedal. Not pushed in made no noise, when it was pushed in, "Click". The sensor was good. Turns out, when I went under the car, on the starter, the little spaid connector with the small w ire wasn't pushed on all the way, and the Positive lead wasn't all the way tight.

So check these... lol

-Battery (AutoZone tests for free)
-Clutch Sensor, right under the clutch pedal
-Leads to starter
-Swap horn and starter relay. Check if the horn still works. If the horn works with both relays, they are both good.
-Check all the engine fuses

And if you tighten everything and it still doesn't work, take your starter off and bring it to AutoZone. They can test it off the car with the 'DuraTester' in the back to see if it's good. If it turns out to be bad, Superbee will sell you one for 25$. I was about to buy it but I don't need it anymore.

Hopefully I was some help. Good luck mang!

And those engine fuses are like 3 bucks Ericy321.