Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

time adjustable camshaft pulley

Old 02-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Djc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 tiburon
Default time adjustable camshaft pulley

hi there,

i'm new here, so sorry if this is in the wrong topic.

but i have a question.

i have a hyundai coupe/tiburon from 1998 2l.

now i have orded a time adjustable camshaft pulley ( this one: http://sharkracing.com/acecart/bin/s...cate=010803000 )

but, have anyone tried this? and yes, what's the best timing you can have for the best performence

sorry for my bad english, i'm from holland

hopefully someone can help me.

greets rick
Old 02-21-2011, 10:44 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

We should know if you are running a camshaft setup aswell?
Old 02-21-2011, 11:31 AM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

That will only allow you to retard or advance timing. Our cars have a Dohc setup but run off one Cam Pulley and have a chain inside that feeds both, so really that Cam sprocket is worthless unless your running nitrous and need to pull some timing.... Only way to adjust overlap of the cams is be purposly setting the timing as desired by skipping teeth on the sprockets in the head, Also there are only a hand full of us here running cams, most of us here run regrinds. like me, just to get the overlap out of the there, sense i am turboed. But cams for us, is costly and hard to come buy, and our heads seem to flow decently stock. People have made upwards of 400Whp on a stock head that has had the ports cleaned up, as Hyundai Casting skills seem to be a tad on the low end...

Hope that helps..
Old 02-21-2011, 12:13 PM
Djc

Originally Posted by Turboron_99
That will only allow you to retard or advance timing. Our cars have a Dohc setup but run off one Cam Pulley and have a chain inside that feeds both, so really that Cam sprocket is worthless unless your running nitrous and need to pull some timing.... Only way to adjust overlap of the cams is be purposly setting the timing as desired by skipping teeth on the sprockets in the head, Also there are only a hand full of us here running cams, most of us here run regrinds. like me, just to get the overlap out of the there, sense i am turboed. But cams for us, is costly and hard to come buy, and our heads seem to flow decently stock. People have made upwards of 400Whp on a stock head that has had the ports cleaned up, as Hyundai Casting skills seem to be a tad on the low end...

Hope that helps..

so on a original setup or no turbo its tottaly useless?

i thaught you could get more hp (4hp) in higher rpms
Old 02-21-2011, 01:32 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

You can advance it 2-4deg if your N/A without a tune and feel a noticeable gain. If you hear ANY knock at all, back off and set your gear back to 0.

Personally i wouldn't go over 2deg without a tune.

Edit* and our heads flow like sh*t. The exhaust runners are pretty much at 90deg angles from the CC. If you get the head blue printed and open up the runners where the angle is you will notice the biggest difference ever.

Edit*2...dont quote the post above yours
Old 02-21-2011, 01:47 PM
Djc

the only thing i have ''tuned'' is:

lightweight crank pulley

CAI

Phenolic Intake Spacer

and soon the camshaft pulley so far
Old 02-21-2011, 02:06 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

When the word "Tuned" we mean literally tuned as in AFR.

I see it usless, yet that is my opinon, I am making 400 Whp with out one.

If i was you I would have put that cash toward a full exhaust, then a shot of nitrous. That is about the best way to make our Tibs open up with out going FI!
Old 02-21-2011, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

It seems people are confusing cam timing with ignition timing, two totally separate items. If you hear knocking because of advancing or retarding cam timing it's probably because your valves are hitting the pistons.

All you can really do by advancing/retarding the camshafts in relation to the crankshaft is move the power band up or down the RPM range. Retard the timing a bit to increase high RPM power, advance it to increase low end torque.

I'm not sure whether the ECU fires the ignition based off of camshaft position sensor or crankshaft position sensor. If it fires based on the camshaft position sensor, you may negate any gains you would normally see due to retarding the camshaft timing because it would also retard the ignition timing.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:15 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

^^ you are very correct, not sure how i got to ignition timing

Ignition timing i believe is off the crank sensor
Old 02-21-2011, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Moral of this story: an adjustable cam gear on this engine will let you move the most powerful output of your engine (the powerband) up and down the range of possible engine speeds, and you may not even notice the effect. If you intend to spend many, many, many more dollars on your engine, it may be nice to have down the road. Use.With.Caution.