Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Tiburon turbo upgrade

Old 10-22-2013, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Coupe 2.0 16v DOHC
Default Tiburon turbo upgrade

Hey, can anyone help me! I've recently fitted and moulded a full body kit to my tiburon,and done a full colour change from silver to a custom 'firecracker blue'. Then I've lowered it buy 40mm and fitted 17" alloys, a full stainless steel system, stage 2 competition clutch and 9lb flywheel, with 1000cc injectors! I've done all this because I want to bolt on a turbo but after do a lot of research about my 2.0 16v DOHC engine I've read that I will need to upgrade the valve springs and install low compression pistons 81c, is this correct or will I also need to upgrade the valves as well? Also I can't find a decent online aftermarket shop that I can purchase my upgrades from, any help anyone would be great!
Old 10-22-2013, 05:34 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

The only reason to upgrade valve springs is if you changed to high lift cams or raised the rev limiter and the reason being is to avoid valve float. Upgrading the internals are going to be based on your hp goals.

Beta 1 rods have been proven to hold 400hp

Why 1000cc injectors? Are you shooting for high hp? Also 8:1 compression will have awful low end power, the only reason to run that low compression is if your running ALOT of boost and until the boost kicks in you'll be in snail mode

Why don't you tell us what your hp goals are and what turbo your running. Everything depends on that.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:35 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

i assume the 8.1 compression is from the 1.8 liter rods and pistons in a 2.0 motor

are you looking at sharkracing/seoulful racing/kspec?
Old 10-23-2013, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by faithofadragon
i assume the 8.1 compression is from the 1.8 liter rods and pistons in a 2.0 motor

are you looking at sharkracing/seoulful racing/kspec?

I only purchased the 1000 cc injectors because I assumed more fuel more detonation! I only mentioned 8:1 pistons because I read another post that said that they would be safe and wouldn't blow my engine with the turbo, I'm lookin for quick off the mark, not fussed about top end speed! My car is a 2.0 litre 16v and has a good engine, really been looked after as it was my farthers and he does drive like a snail,lol... The problem I've got is I've read all these posts online and everyone has a different opinion of what the 2.0 tiburon engines can handle! I want to bolt a turbo on to the engine to remove them flat spots you get and to give me a good 0-60! Without putting the engine under in-needed strain. I would like to know what low compression pistons to purchase and what other upgrades I will need to give my engine help handling the turbo boost, like what's the max psi I can go upto with stock cams etc! I've spent around £3000 upto now on the body work and lowering springs so on, so it looks the part but don't want a bag of wind for a engine! Lol
Old 10-23-2013, 06:12 AM

Sorry also this is the kit I'm gonna be installing-

* Brand new T3 V-BAND internal wastegate .63AR turbo charger.Set at 8PSI.Max up to 350HP.

* Inlet: 3.0 Inch. Outlet: 2.0 Inch.

* Turbine Flange: T3 Flange. Downpipe Flange: 2.5'' V-Band Flange.

* Type of Bearing: Journal Bearings.

* Cooling Type: Oil Cooled Only.

* Oil Inlet: 1/8 NPT.

* Exhaust Trim: .63AR.Turbine Wheel Diameter: 55.79MM/63.36MM.

* Compressor Trim: .60AR.Compressor Wheel Diameter: 54.28MM/71.32MM.

OBX TIBURON L4 STAINLESS STEEL TURBO MANIFOLD:

* Brand new OBX TIBURON TURBO MANIFOLD.Made of high quality SUS-321 stainless steel mandrel bent for ultra fast flow,CNC machine flange with TIG welded construction.

* Dyno tested and proven.Direct bolt on without modification.

* Including gaskets,allow power steering and air condition.Fits with T3 flange turbo charger.This turbo manifold is bolt on this turbo charger without any modification.

2.5'' V-BAND CLAMP:

* Brand new 2.5'' v-band clamp. Made of high quality stainless steel.

* Package includes: one clamp,two flanges.

* For two v-band flangee connect without welding or bolts,locking nut will prevent back out.Customer can use this v-band clamp to custom make the downpipe for this turbo kit.

UNIVERSAL 2.5'' PIPING KIT:

* Brand new universal 2.5'' polished aluminum piping kit. Made of high quality T6061 aluminum.

* THIS PIPING KIT IS UNIVERSAL,IT IS NOT BOLT ON TYPE.CUSTOMERS NEED TO CUT AND BENT THE INTERCOOLER PIPE TO FIT YOUR CAR.

* 2.5'' inlet diameter,increase more airflow.It come with hight quality 4PLY silicone couplers and strong and tighter t-bolt clamp.it can support up to 400HP.

27''X7''X2.5'' FRONT MOUNT INTERCOOLER:

* Brand new universal 27''x7''x2.5'' front mount intercooler. Made of high quality T6061 aluminum.

* Tube and fin design.High flow and light weight.Support up to 400HP and 35PSI.

* Compress air flow rate: 700cubic feet/min.

* Pressure drop: 0.2-0.5 at 15PSI, 2-5 at 35PSI.

* Full size: 27''x 7''x 2.5''.Inlet/Outlet: 2.5''

* Core size: 21''x 7''x 2.5''.

SSQV TURBO BLOW OFF VALVE BOV:

* Brand new SQV turbo blow off valve bov. Made of high quality CNC billet aluminum and andized finished.Including O-ring,hardware and flange.

* Our blow off valves is a dual stage pull-type relief valve. Unlike typical push type blow-off valves,will not leak under any level of boost.

* It is for maximum performance, incorporates both a small primary valve for ultra quick activation, and a larger secondary valve for additional discharge capacity. It is constructed of billet aluminum, which ensures long-term durability and a high luster look.

OIL RETURN LINE:

* Brand new 10AN oil drain/return line kit,made of hight quality stainless steel braided line and T6061 aluminum fitting.

* Length: 17''. ID: 0.5''.

* Helps circulate oil from the turbo to the oil pan.

OIL FEED LINE:

* Brand new oil feed line,made of hight quality stainless steel braided line.Special designed inlet adapter limits oil flow,effectively prevent blown oil seal caused by excessive oil pressure.

* Length: 36''. ID: 3/8''.

* Comes with one 1/8 NPT male fitting and one 4AN male fitting.Has restriction build in,offers proper oil feeding to the turbo charger.

FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR:

* Brand new fuel pressure regulator. Made of high quality CNC machined aluminum.Includes hardwares and hoses for installing.

* Manage your fuel system requirements,increase fuel delivery by rasing pressure.

* Adjustable 0-140 PSI(0-10kg/cm²) for maximum fuel pump capacity.

TURBO BOOST CONTROLLER:

* Brand new turbo boost controller. Made of high quality CNC machined T6061 aluminum with anodized finish.Comes with hardwares for easy installing.

* Light weight design.Allow you to adjust PSI ratings(1-30PSI)without changing the wastegate springs as well as replacing the wastegate springs.

OIL CATCH TANK:

* Brand new oil catch tank. Made of high quality T6061 aluminum.Come with aluminum bracket,hose and stainless steel clamp to mount your new reserve tanks.

* The oil catch tank collects the oil mist and condenses the fuel vapors while allowing cleaner gases to be passed back into the intake.It will ensure better performance and better mileage on your engine.

* Dimensions:6.25''x3.25''x3.25'';Hole inlet size:0.3'';Hold up to 750ML.

TURBO TIMER:

* Brand new pen style turbo timer.Made of high quality.

* A turbo timer is a device designed to keep an automotive engine running for a pre-specified period of time in order to automatically execute the cool-down period required to prevent premature turbo wear and failure.

* A turbo timer can be programmed to leave the engine running for a pre-specified period of time even after ther driver has exited and locked the vehicle. after a period of driving when a turbocharger has been working hard, it is important to let the engine run at idle speed for a period of time, allowing the compressor assembly to cool from the lower gas temperatures in both the exhaust and intake tracts. At the same time the lubricating oil from the engine is able to circulate properly so the turbine won't burn the lubricating oil that would otherwise be trapped within the charger with the turbine rotating at high speed.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:59 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

Hmm wow! ^^ ..Get injectors half of what you got,engine management,run all that stuff at 8psi
Old 10-26-2013, 09:11 AM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

that isn't an e-bay turbo kit is it?
Old 10-27-2013, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by pas1216
that isn't an e-bay turbo kit is it?

Yeah, that's the only kit I could find that won't blow my engine up! I have been told to check the welds inside the turbo but I thought it was a good price for what you get, plus with is bein only 8psi it shouldn't put my engine under too much strain! Is this correct or am I on the wrong track? I'm in sure on what upgrades I will need to do to bolt a turbo on as I keep reading different posts which some say the engine can take the 8psi turbo kit without replacing any internals, and others saying that new pistons or double up on head gaskets, I'm now confused!lol
Old 10-27-2013, 03:08 PM

Vehicle: 1997/Hyundai/Tiburon

Before you spend any money I suggest you read "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell.

Then come back and ask questions about putting a turbo on your car. In my opinion you may want to figure out your tuning software before you do a single thing to the engine. All the turbo components in the world make no difference if you can't tune the car.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:32 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

I wouldn't waste my $$$ on an e-bay turbo kit. You would be better off to piece one together yourself. Keep on eye on the parts for sale section on the site.