Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Tib Cams

Old 06-06-2002, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tib Cams

For anyone looking for Cams, I received the following message after inquiring at Middleton Rally Team:

"We can get a set of custom ground billet cams to suit your car and the modifications you have made. Idle quality and drivability will depend very much on how wild you wish to go, but for a reasonable set designed for road use normal idle will not be effected and you will get good improvement in mid/upper range torque/hp. We can get the cams custom made to tailor to your exact requirements (eg better mid range power, or more low range torque, or max power no matter what, etc).

As a rough guide you would be looking at approx AU$5-600 for supply of custom ground camshafts. You won't have to replace valve springs etc unless you really want to, or are going with a very agressive timing/overlap setup."

This is in Australian Dollars.

HVE Seem to have taken Cams off their product list.
Old 06-06-2002, 03:33 PM
BV1

Does anyone know of that company in the US, that will take your stock cam and add however many degrees of duration that you want for $150? I have heard of them but cant remember the name...

-Steve
Old 06-06-2002, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

regrinding stock cams is usually NOT a good idea.

$500-$600 AU is only $250-$300 US funds. Dirt cheap for 100% custom cams.
Old 06-06-2002, 09:12 PM

that doesn't sound right to me. is that for both cams or just intake. I know for one billett cam for my vw race motor its over $400 us. that is not even a custom camshaft. right off the shelf. so $250-300 for both would sound a little unbeleivable. maybe 1 but not both. Also I'm guessing it would be a "cast billet" which is not a true billet cam but is better than a regular cast cam. and random unless you are running some huge lift on your cams there is nothing wrong with reground cams.
Old 06-06-2002, 10:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>revkev6:
that doesn't sound right to me. is that for both cams or just intake. I know for one billett cam for my vw race motor its over $400 us. that is not even a custom camshaft. right off the shelf. so $250-300 for both would sound a little unbeleivable. maybe 1 but not both. Also I'm guessing it would be a "cast billet" which is not a true billet cam but is better than a regular cast cam. and random unless you are running some huge lift on your cams there is nothing wrong with reground cams.</div>He said they are regrinds of the stock cams. Not billet, not an original product. And like random said, they are not a great idea. But, for the price, it's very tempting. I'd have to admit, I'm tempted. tongue.gif

Anyone have experience with regrinds?
Old 06-07-2002, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

I'll post all the info up here this weekend as to why re-grinds are a bad idea, but to put it simply, they alter the cam profile(shape), which puts more wear and tear on the assembly.

Mogul posted <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>custom ground billet cams</div>They say cam"s" which does indicate plural...meaning BOTH.
Old 06-09-2002, 03:12 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Accent

I didn't think mogul said anything about regrinds, it was bv1 who he was looking for a company for regrinds.

That 250-300 was for the custom billet ones according to mogul.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>"We can get a set of custom ground billet cams to suit your car and the modifications you have made.</div>