Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Strange Grinding Noise During Cold Startup..

Old 03-10-2006, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've noticed a strange grinding noise originating near the alternator. It only happens when the engine is cold. That, or I just can't hear it when things have heated up.

In addition, my newly installed belts on my newly installed pulleys are squeaking quite often. And my left wheel bearing is gone.

Small problems that lead to major disatisfaction with my Tib. 02.gif
Old 03-11-2006, 09:37 AM

well, there are three things there. Alternator, power steering, and water pump. Take you pic. While I have never heard of a PS pump going on the tib, it remains an unlikely cause of the grinding noise. This leaves the alternator and water pump.

You said newly installed belts. How tight are they? If they are too tight, you can ruin the bearings in the alternator, waterpump, and powersteering pump.

There is also the timing belt and it's tensioner bearings. How many miles on your tib and has the timing belt ever been done?
Old 03-11-2006, 10:30 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

Small problems that lead to major disatisfaction with my Tib.

"ant that the truth"

let me know if you need anything, bud

check you belt again... it could be that your alt is going there is a bearing is on its last leg
Old 03-11-2006, 12:02 PM

Actually, I tightened the alternator belt, which was the cause of the squeeling. I haven't heard the noise since.

But it's warmed up the past couple days. I will check carefully when it's cold. I have no history of the timing belt change prior to 98K miles. The car is 115K old now. Is it reasonable to assume that the timing belt was changed once?

Any other suggestions?
Old 03-12-2006, 01:56 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

change the timeing belt now, better to be safe then sorry... and loose the head
Old 03-12-2006, 02:09 PM

if done at the proper intervals, you are coming up on the car's second timing belt change soon. Might as well do it once the weather breaks and get it over with now, just to be safe.