Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

starting problems

Old 05-03-2011, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 98 hyundai tiburon
Default starting problems

ok so i replaced my camshafts yestrday, i got ahold of a 1.8 head from a junkyard so i put both 1.8 cams in my 2.0 head ( i dnt knw if it makes a difference) but after having compression the prior day it seems i lost compression in all cylinders

now my question is that i reused my stock headbolts could they have stretched and air is leaking through the head gasket?

im buying new headbolts anyway because i shouldnt have tried to cut corners but im just curious on your guys opinions
Old 05-03-2011, 06:21 PM

Vehicle: 2001 tibby

I re-used my head bolts when i did my cam swap I have no problems at all make sure its stamped with a j2 - and if it is your timing is prolly off a notch. check back
Old 05-03-2011, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Cylinder head bolts may be reused without limitation, per Hyundai. ^ what he said. I made a DIY for setting the timing, it's around here somewhere . . .
Old 05-04-2011, 05:55 AM

Vehicle: 98 hyundai tiburon

Yea I used the DIY for timing got the 5 links between intake and exhaust cams, cam gear is lined up and crank is at top dead center.

I torqued the bolts to the right foot lbs then did the 60 degrees and after the leakdown test and compression test got nothing

Should I torque em more?
Old 05-04-2011, 08:42 AM

Vehicle: 2001 tibby

give me a picture and i used only 10lbs of torque for mine.. either you have the wrong cam or its off timing.. its a easy mod so i would suggest taking it off and looking again.