Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Squeeky Belt

Old 11-12-2006, 10:23 PM

Location: Burlington Iowa, where theres just as many tractors on the road as cars.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a squeeky belt and ive tried belt dressing but only stops for about a day or two. is the noise normal for tibbs? any other fixes? the belt seems fairly new.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:34 PM

Vehicle: 1997/ Hyundai/ Tiburon

i think its pretty normal. i seen it on alot of topics before. I have that problem when its cold here but when it warms up, it goes away.

i heard if u tighten ur belt, it would stop squeeking
Old 11-12-2006, 10:37 PM

If by "normal" you mean an annoyance to many...then yes. Try a search and specify which belt, but its probably the power steering belt you're talking about... I've got the same problem.

Try re-tightening the belt. Belt dressing hardly ever does any good....I never use it personally...Tightening the belt practically stopped all the squealing but I still get it every once and awhile...

EDIT: rd1tib beat me to it, lol
Old 11-12-2006, 10:42 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

tighten your belts, problemo solved smile.gif
Old 11-12-2006, 10:44 PM

^^^^Not always... I tightened mine as much as I dare and I still get the squeal on cold starts... Ill eventually replace my power steering pump when I get around to it because I think the pump is bad and that's why mines doing it still....
Old 11-12-2006, 11:32 PM

Tighening probably won't help. Check the inside of the belt and see if it looks glazed (almost a polished shine). if so, new belt.

If you overtighten to prevent squealing, you're going to ruin pulley bearings, which will cost a Hell of a lot more to fix than a $15 belt. Likewise, I learned the hard way that a constantly slipping belt will also kill pulley bearings, since that generates a lot of heat. I'm in the market for a PSP for that reason.

Make sure you thoroughly clean the pulley before installing a new belt. The surface of pulleys also gets glazed. I use a brillo pad and brake cleaner.

Belt dressing is like a bandaid on a bullet wound.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:27 AM

Location: Burlington Iowa, where theres just as many tractors on the road as cars.

Thanks for the advice everyone. The funny thing is that the belt sqeeks only between certian rpm ranges, and everyday that range changes. Like yesterday it was around 1000 - 2500. last week it was about 2000 - 3000. I`ll prob just change the belts anyway.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:33 AM

Vehicle: car

I had the same problem on my RD1. It was the Power Steering belt, because that's my only V-Belt. I changed all of mine though. I bought Goodyear Gator Back belts, and dressed up my PS belt, no more problems. I think I may need a new alternator though... when i turn on my headlights or hold down both window switches at the same time i get a wicked vibration. My battery needs to be replaced but i don't think thats it.

I'd say just change your belts.. fixed my problems.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:35 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BlizagaXx @ Nov 13 2006, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I think I may need a new alternator though... when i turn on my headlights or hold down both window switches at the same time i get a wicked vibration.</div>
I have the same damn problem... It pisses me off because the people riding with me think we're about to f-in take off.... lol. You think this means we need a new alt? I hope not... how much does a good one run? Sorry to continue the OT subject....
Old 11-13-2006, 05:45 PM

The vibration when you turn on your headlights does not necessarily mean you need a new alt. It's probably normal. Your idle could simply need adjusting, you might have oil buildup in your idler, your pcv might be clogged, or maybe you simply need to clean all of your power and ground terminals. If you are running a powerful amp and subs at the time, I would expect such a vibration.

If you hold down both window switches in almost any car, you will notice the same vibration. That produces a huge voltage drop believe it or not.