Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Squeaking?

Old 08-08-2013, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib
Default Squeaking?

When (and only when) my engine is warm, I hear this obnoxious squeak coming from the timing belt/cover area. The engine has also been running very hot, the other day after driving on the highway I got out and could hear the coolant boiling inside the reservoir.

I just replaced the engine, and the car has got all new belts, water pump, and tensioner.

Any ideas what it could be? Oil pump?

I've got the timing belt cover and all the belts/pullies off.. anything I can do to test?

Second question:

The radiator fan never seems to turn on. As I mentioned the coolant was boiling, and the radiator fan wasn't running. It comes on if I turn the A/C on, though. So the relay/wiring/fuses are all good... temperature sensor?
Old 08-08-2013, 11:34 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Check water pump / alternator belt tension .Be sure all the air is out of the coolant system. Check the relays/fuses and connections for the fan. Maybe use a test wire to check the primary fan ( AC uses secondary ). Have you replaced the thermostat ? It could be sticking . Have you flushed the cooling system ? If not give it a good flush and check for build up on the Coolant temp sensor and sender or replace them to be safe .
Old 08-09-2013, 04:50 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

^ that and...

I'd say the squeak is a faulty water pump, have heard new ones make noise out of the box. and the fan is probably the temp sender if you can "manually" get the fan to work.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:23 PM

I've refilled the coolant several times and added directly to the radiator. Also had to replace the top radiator hose, and I "burped" it by squeezing the hose as I was adding new coolant. Pretty sure there's no air left. (Would that cause this noise?)

I've checked the tension on all the belts including the A/C tensioner, twice now. Even added belt dressing on new belts. It's got to be something else...

Why would a new water pump make noise out of the box?! Is it faulty? Or just cheap (Gates model from RockAuto)? Is there a way I can test it?

What/where is the "temp sender" and how can I test it? What about the thermostat?

The relay (fuse box under the hood) for the rad fan tested ok. Also if I unplug the coolant temp sensor (the one on the right side of the engine by where the top rad hose connects) the needle on the gauge goes and stays under the C (otherwise it seems to report accurately)? Does that mean its good?
Old 08-09-2013, 07:57 PM

The one wire one ( the one you unplugged I am guessing ) is the sender , The CTS is to the right of it . The bearing in the pump could have been bad from the factory , That sounds like your problem. Take the belt off it and see how the water pump turns by hand , if you feel resistance or it feels rough that's the problem.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:03 PM

Today I had the timing cover and power steering belt off. I let the car warm up until I heard the high pitched squeal (it has to idle for about 20 minutes until this will happen). After that, I turned it off and disconnected the water pump belt. So at this point everything is disconnected except for the timing belt. Started it back up, and the engine STILL continued to make the noise.

Any ideas? It's really odd that this only occurs when the engine is hot... I'm not sure what to do next?
Old 08-10-2013, 02:30 PM

Here's a short video of what it sounds like (this is with the water pump belt and everything removed except the timing belt)
Old 08-10-2013, 02:43 PM

Has this engine been doing this from day one of running it ( I noticed you said it was just replaced ) ? If so it may be time to check the timing belt tension as well as the tensioner /idler. I have been looking at this as one issue but it very well could be two. Just curious , what oil and oil filter are you running ? Level correct ? Whats the background on the engine ,miles , year ect. ?

EDIT:Just watched video , sounds like Timing belt is too tight , adjust it just a bit.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:36 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

I second the timing belt being too tight.

And NEVER spray belt dressing on your belts. That stuff is crap.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

It was hard to tell WTH from the video, but loosening the timing belt won't hurt anything so long as it is not TOO loose. It should feel tight, and sound a low note when you flick it like a guitar string. If it gives a dull thud or no sound, it is way too loose. If it sounds like a big supercharger belt, it is too tight.

Before fooling with that, is the a/c belt also off? You say 'everything' but it could be out of sight/mind so I ask.