Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Spluttering Problem

Old 11-16-2006, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys

Please help me to try figure this one out...
Im kinda hoping somebody will automagically have an answer lmao.gif

Revving the car up to 6000rpm sometimes makes a splutter around 5700rpm, other times it goes smoothly all the way.

Then driving the car normally around 3000-4000rpm after that high revving, the car starts spluttering badly and dies down to 1500rpm... it seems to idle okay though.

You can push on the accelerator and its just dead, hold it down lightly and it splutters a bit then jumps back to life, then splutters some more rinse and repeat... feels like water in the plug holes!!

What other people have suggested...
.Blocked injectors, but surely that would be spluttering most the time though and not intermittantly?
.Dirt in the fuel, I cleaned my fuel filter out 3000km ago, no dirt whatsoever.
.Plug leads, those I changed 8000km ago
.Plugs, Im using bosch yttrium's so those surely shouldnt be packing up after 8000km!
.Loose battery terminal, took everything off sanded down contacts and tightened.
.ECU not getting enough power, maybe because i was getting 2 lights next to each other flashing (HB & battery) doing 180km/h last night.

The dealer wants 400 ZA Rand / USD $54 just to read the error codes for me!

Thanks in advance
Old 11-16-2006, 06:19 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

i dont know if u have an autozone or advanced but they would read codes for ya, if not then im sure you can read the code as a series of blinkin lights on the dash. one of the more experienced guys will be around in a minute to help ya
Old 11-16-2006, 06:56 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

Actually you don't clean out a fuel filter, you replace it. I'm not suggesting that this is causing your problem necessarily but you might want to actually replace the filter. It is supposed to trap dirt and other foreign matter in the filter media. I'm not sure how you figured you were able to clean it out and tell whether there was any dirt there. Unless you are using something other than the OEM filter setup.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:48 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ Yah.

Also could be a really bad TPS/MAF problem.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:06 AM

@optimoprime
yea we have autozone, but they just looked at me funny when i asked if they could read error codes so thats a negative
we dont have advanced here

@rallyman
i know you normally replace the fuel filter, and nope i dont think its the problem either.
what i did was run some fresh petrol the opposite direction and shake it up a bit
and then let it run over my hands to see or feel for any grains or dirt

@hamhead
Just bare with me a second here... yes i have used the search
Can i clean these or must they be replaced, if i can clean them... what can i use?

TPS would be found on the throttle body?
MAF is on the airbox just above the flatpad filter?
Old 11-17-2006, 08:45 AM

Location: York. About 2hrs from Philly and 4 hours from Pittsburgh

Your tps is on the front side of the throttle body (its the little "black box" with wires running into it) and your maf is right before the intake elbow (it should have an arrow pointing (approx) towards the passenger side seat)

Old 11-17-2006, 10:06 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your TPS says Dae Sung, replace it it a Keifco, no corrective action available for that.

If you wish to clean off your MAF you should use some contact cleaner on it and spray it off. Do not touch the MAF reids. They are very thin and fragile. Just spray them down hevily and let them dry.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:57 PM

Well, apparently his car isnt getting enough fuel in a certain RPM range. I'd blame that on the MAF. I dont think it would be the TPS.

It definately wouldnt be a loose battery wire because once the car is on, it runs off of the alternator anyway. It could possible be an injector/fuel pressure problem as at the higher RPM range you need more fuel. I doubt its a spark plug/wire problem also because you would more than likely have more problems than just what you are saying you are experiencing. But I think the MAF is most likely what is causing it.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:15 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^ could mean a deadspot on the TPS. The TPS and MAF pretty much go hand in hand. The only thing the car can vary is fuel and spark(with CVVT)
Old 11-18-2006, 08:42 PM

true but with the history of hyundais there have been more problems by far with the MAF's than the TPS's