Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Spec A Tiburon Differances?

Old 07-12-2001, 04:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec A Tiburon Differances?

Ok I just recently found out that my tiburon is differant the 98% of the other tiburons out there being that is was made 8/96.. I did some searching and found that I can't get a CAI, (does that include if you own a Auto) the engige is "stronger" (what the h*ll does that mean) and when I ordered my Clear Corners the lights and the plugins were all differant (easy to change though). Can anyone explain the differances between the cars made pre/early 97 with any of the other tiburons on the road.. Now that my baby is paid off I want to custom my car but I don't want to buy anything that won't work..

Sorry if i did my search wrong and this subject has been covered before but i'm new (bad excuse huh =P)

Thanks,

Luke tongue.gif

[ July 12, 2001: Message edited by: GreenTibFX ]
Old 07-12-2001, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

By "stronger" they mean it can support more HP without serious upgrades. The "Revision-A" Tiburon engines are supposed to have "stronger" blocks that the "normal" tiburon engines. I have not found anything online to indicate any block part number differences, so I am unable to confirm that.

"Revision-A" tiburons also have the Evap-Canister located in the drivers side fenderwell in front of the front wheel. As this is where most CAI's end up, that is why you need a "special" CAI for the "Revision-A" model.

The "Revision-A" tiburon clutch has also shown to last somewhat longer that standard tiburon clutches.

The "Revision-A" gearbox syncro's are weak (manual Tranny only). There is a Techical Service Buliten from Hyundai on this, and they should be replaced under warranty.

There are other minor differences, but those are the biggest.
Old 07-12-2001, 11:06 PM

I have the Rev. A Tib as well. here's a link to my site with my CAI plans. Not the greatest, but it works and is cheap.
http://www.geocities.com/acurtas/CAI.html

I did not know those ohter things about the Rev. A. Interesting. I have always had third gear syncro problems, but I'm out of warranty now. I'll wait until I have to put on a new clutch and maybe swap in some better ones. Encouraging news about the block being stronger, if I get some boost, I guess I'll be testing it. smile.gif

later,
a

[ July 13, 2001: Message edited by: Curtas ]
Old 07-12-2001, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Curtas-

Contact your dealer about the TSB. I don't think it was a "recall", if so, you could get the work done for free out of warranty, but ask if you pay for the parts, will they do the labor for free! See if they are willing to work out a deal with you.
Old 07-13-2001, 05:17 AM

Awesome CAI idea i think i might try it.. It should work with the 2.0 engine as well right? Also isn't there a bypass valve you can buy the eliminates the possibility of hydrolock? I live in Colorado and we have sudden and very violent thunderstorms and floodings weekly... Not a good idea witha CAI that might be prone to suck up water

Luke

'97 Tiburon FX Special Edition Hunter Green
----Looks----
Art Sport Clear Corners
Neon Green Front Signal/Reverse/ Wiper Nozzle/ Valve Cap Lights
Blue Zenon Headlights
35% grade tint with front eyebrow
----Audio-------
Kenwood RFC 8817? MP3 Deck
Kenwood Exceleon 6 1/2 - 6x9s
MTX 8000 12" Sealed sub
MTX 425 watt 2 channel (sub amp) / MTX 275 Watt 4 channel (mids and highs)
One Farad Cap
Custom Install Job by ME!
----Performance----
17" Technomagnesio Euro Sport Rims
Phantom TX tires
Fuzzy Dice and Bug Eyed Monster
----Soon----
B&G Lowering Springs
Shark Racing Spoiler
Custom CAI (maybe)

(Pictures Coming Soon!)
Old 07-13-2001, 05:53 AM

Yeah, AEM makes a bypass valve for like $40 or so. Don't know how you'd fit it in there, but I'm sure it is possible.

Let us know how it goes.

a