Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Spare Tire Upgrade?

Old 08-09-2010, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare Tire Upgrade?

So the tread on my spare started to peel right off when driving one day. I have been looking at my options for a replacement, and have been told by some to just get a 15" steel rim, and tire. I tried searching on the forum to see if anyone has shared an experience with this. I am concerned with wether or not it could fit in the well where the doughnut is kept. If anyone has any experiences on fitting a full size tire in, please let me know!
Old 08-09-2010, 11:41 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Well, I managed to not only get a full size 17" rim in the spare tire well, but I also got both my amps and a 12" Alpine Type R UNDER the spare!! I had to go postal with a sledge hammer to make the wheel well a bit bigger, LOL!!!

So yeah, I think its doable. Do some measurements first if you do not want to beat the sh*t out of your wheel well with a sledge. wink.gif
Old 08-10-2010, 07:36 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

measure the size of your stock rim/tire and measure the diameter of the well. You may have to go with a smaller tire. Or get a 14" wheel with a smaller tire - they're usually dirt cheap at Sears and stuff.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:13 AM

cool, thanks for the input, I'll have pull out the good 'ol measuring tape and check it out to see. I know that when i put on the doughnut last, i attempted to put the original wheel in the well, but it sat too high, but those foam pieces were still there, but it still seemed to be too high, but I'll do some measuring to be sure.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Jack up the car on one corner
pull the wheel
put the wheel in the spare tire well

tibbytib, that looks VERRrrr nice.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:41 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

yup agreed, thats a hot looking install mang
Old 08-10-2010, 10:37 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I'm running a full sized spare in mine too. Great to have.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:00 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Thanks for the compliments. smile.gif smile.gif

phear86 - the photo I posted is a little deceiving. I actually built a false floor above the actual floor. BUT.....an OEM or comparable size rim could be made to fit I believe. It would take a little modification, ie, the sledge hammer (LOL!) but I think you could get one in without a whole lot of hassle. Maybe even get some hard foam backing from a hobby store like Hobby Lobby, about 1-2", and raise the level of the trunk floor to accommodate the wider OEM rim. It would retain the stock look of your hatch while making room for your new spare. Its the diameter that'll kill ya, and why you'll need the sledge!
Old 08-12-2010, 09:09 PM

Cool, you guys are awesome. I may try to go to my local junk yard tomorrow and find a steel, or if they have it, alluminum rim for my car. My father in law has a tire for me already that i can use. I'll see how it goes, and maybe post a pic or 2.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:35 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

LOTS of vehicles use our bolt pattern too, but realize the center hub hole is different on some models

best bet is to find a wheel that might work, walk over to a hyundai and make sure it fits

my spare is a sonata 15"