Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Some Problems I've Been Having

Old 11-24-2009, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Alright, so i've been having a few problems with my car and I have no idea where to search. I'll go into more details why. Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone else was getting any random (well i think it's random) CELs coming on? I did do a search on both CEL and Check Engine Light but I didn't see anything that was remotely similar to the problems I am having.

To go into further detail, I've had Cels come on for no apparent reason. It happens usually when I drive for longer distances. It happened once and I was able to get a code, i don't remember it anymore, but it was a hyundai specific and i was advised to ask a dealer. I called and they said it could be any number of things (they listed off a bunch of stuff ranging from semi to not really serious) I was too far away to go to a dealership so I just kept driving. Later when i filled up on gas, it went away! So I thought no big deal. It happened again just recently, last saturday. I was driving and I just noticed that the CEL was on. I wasn't having any problems before so I was wondering what was going on. Once again I was too far away from a dealership and I tried to get a free diagnostics test but NAPA auto only sells them -_- so i just kept driving and sure enough it just went away again. I would just like to know if anyone else has or had similar problems with these random CEL lights and if they mean anything at all.

Oh and the other problem i've been having is when the engine is just idling, the steering wheel vibrates pretty bad and when I'm driving and I brake for a turn with the clutch in, the engine runs really weird and once again the steering wheel vibrates. Is it a brake issue, engine issue, or something else that could be causing this roughness in idling and what not?

Thanks everyone for your input and help.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon 5spd

Regarding the CEL, no diagnosis means you're pretty much high and dry, unfortunately.

As for your other problem, is it only with the clutch in (engaged) that you get this problem? Describe 'runs really wierd', does it lope? Act like it's going to die? Does it idle low?

If it's dependent on the clutch then a transmission issue would be my best bet.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:00 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Get the CEL # again, and we can help. Without that, we can't do much.

Sounds like you have some idle issues.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:16 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

Does the CEL generally come on (randomly) when you have a low amount of fuel in the tank?
Old 11-24-2009, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I'm wondering if it's the gas cap. Make sure it's tight.

AutoZone can read your codes, even if the CEL isn't on. It should be able to read all codes still held in memory.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:16 AM

^^ ok thanks majik i'll definatelly get a hold of those codes.

and also patreezy i still had more than half a tank of fuel.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:04 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Tiburon SE

For the CEL to come on and turn back off again is kind of strange. For my car, at least, whenever the CEL turns on, it stays on until I reset the battery or clear the codes (but it come right back on after a few minutes of driving, for a number of stupid reasons). One code says I have misfires in a particular cylinder, not a big deal, replaced the spark plugs and that was good as new. The the other codes are one for my MAF (mass airflow sensor) going off because I have a cold air intake, which screws up with the sensor I guess (ignore it). The other one is apparently something to do with the transmission, but that makes no sense because there are no electronic sensors hooked up to the manual transmission of my car (at least according to my father, who's worked on these cars for about 10 years). Codes can be fickle, but they can sometimes give you a good idea as to what's the matter.

Is it ONLY when you take turns with the clutch engaged though? Have you tried it while just driving in a straight line? If the engine sounds like it's bogging as soon as you have the clutch engaged then it could be a transmission issue, as jmans said. The thing I find strange about that is your CEL "shouldn't" come on if the problem is transmission related, as I stated earlier there should be no sensors on your transmission to begin with. The engine light turning on would be something secondary that's alerted when the engine acts up. I can only suggest bringing your car into a shop and they'll be able to diagnose the exact problem, unless you can get the codes again and someone on the forum can interpret them for you.

Good luck bud, hope it works out for you!
Old 11-27-2009, 01:39 PM

^^ Thanks a lot man the information really helps. And i see that I was pretty vague on the whole clutch and engine issue....well its sorta hard to explain but its really when I'm braking. The engine sorta "shudders" a little bit or so when a brake and a lot of vibration is felt throught the steering wheel. I should have clearly specified that it was under braking rather than with the clutch in, but it can happen either when i'm braking in neutral or when I have the foot on the clutch and the brake for a turn.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If your car shakes when you step on the brakes, you very likely have warped brake rotors. You can verify this using a dial indicator or (if it's really bad) you can feel the difference. Jack up one corner of the car with disk brakes, remove the wheel. Spin the brake disk by hand and you may be able to feel or measure some runout (wobblies) on the brake rotor. Super easy to check, and on a 2001 tib, also an easy fix (just pull old rotor and install new or reconditioned rotor)
Old 12-04-2009, 08:39 AM

+1 On getting those CEL codes...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>It happens usually when I drive for longer distances.</div>

This makes me think you're running into the same problem I had about a month ago. I would check out both your catalytic converters man. What happens is, the material inside of the converters gets very VERY hot, but it also takes a while for temperatures to rise high enough to make the material melt and/or expand and restrict exhaust flow. this will throw a CEL for the 2nd o2 sensor. I cannot remember the numbers off the top of my head, but here is the post I made. http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=32483

hope this helps