Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Smt-6 And Emissions

Old 11-01-2007, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so heres my question, I am na, with the mods listed in my sig. I am planing a few more mods in the future and want to have some type of tunning. The mods I am planning in adition to my current ones are ported and polished intake manifold, bigger tb (havent figured out which one yet), I currently have a 1.8 cam but might want a full cam set or a regrind if it works out, and that should be about it for a while. I am also limited to an odb II testing for emissions, and wanted to know if I get a smt-6 will I still pass the emissions testing? I spoke to a mechanic and he told me that as long as there were no check engine lights and no codes stored that it would be able to pass. also where can I buy one? Thanks in advance for any info/ sugestions that can be provided.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:25 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

As long as your still using a cat, and have it properly tuned you'll pass emissions if you don't have any other mechanical problems.

Also pm Denisst99 that you'd like a smt6. He's a distributor for perfect power, and can hook you up with a good price!
Old 11-01-2007, 01:16 PM

cool, any sugestions from anyone on what size tb I should go with? if I have cams that need to be tunned not to pop a cel will I still pass as long as there is no cel due to tunning? also any sugestions on cams?
Old 11-01-2007, 02:43 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra

If your using the SMT6 to control only the injectors and spark you will have no issues if you have a proper tune. I would doubt you would need any tuning yet unless you get camshafts or some other types of exotic bolt ons.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:27 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon

Ok I need help here. SOON. I just bought a blue 98 Tib turbo running SMT-6 in force open loop mode... And from what I'm able to gather, this means the factory ECU is essentially receiving no input from the o2 sensors, therefore triggering the CEL, that is currently preventing me from registering my car... So options? Can I pull the atelier turbo box temporarily, to go back to closed loop, will that fix the problem, or will the closed loop tuning issues still cause a code, or would it be unsafe for the engine... Is there a way to trick the ECU into thinking all is well, and tricking it in a manner that isn't detectable by emissions. They also do a quick once over visually. I'm about five minutes from finding someone outside the city limits to let me live at their house for a month so I can register the dang thing. The SMT-6 is WAAAYYY above my level of understanding... The wiring rat's harness nest.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:00 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Holy thread revival batman! I'll check back in 2015 and see how we're doing

But seriously mang. There are 02 sensor imitators that will tell the ECU that it is receiving a valid input. However, the car will still fail emissions if they do a sniffer test. Unfortunately you will need to have a reasonable closed loop tune. Idk how strict the emissions laws are in your state, but most will want to see that the OBD system works, no CELs, and will do some sort of sniffer test. I thought the SMT-6 was able to accomodate closed loop?