Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Smelling Fuel.. Not Good.. Wondering From Where?

Old 09-08-2006, 08:06 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, after i got back from HS, when i start and shut off my car i can smell fuel.. doesnt seem to be leaking when its off.. bottom of fuel tank is wet, but seems like moisture, cuz no fuel smell at all.. i bottomed out, and i think i hit the tank in canada, at a gas station, over one of the fuel fillup cover, the big covers on the ground.. it shouldnt scrape the tank enough to crack it, should it?

also, theres a lil wetness on one of my feed lines, so im thinking maybe the hose clamp was too tight and comprimised the hose a bit, and now its leaking only at high fuel pressure, and not at idle.. guess i can check that.

basically i kinda wanted to know if our fuel tanks are known to crack easily or not.. otherwise, ill be screwed, and i wont even mess with getting new stocker, and ill just go with a fuel cell, cuz itd be easier, and more practical, plus i would have all new lines, filter, etc. and it would prob cost roughly the same, if i were to get OEM fuel tank.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:13 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Check your fuel filter. Mine has leaked twice in the past, both remedied by replacing the filter.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:55 PM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

pull you back seat out and look at the top of the tank if its wet there then the oring seal on the tank is going.. get a hammer and a screwdriver and make sure its tight also check your fuel lines going to your fpr as well, also see if you have any injectors o-ring leaking as well and the return line going back to the tank off of your FPR
Old 09-08-2006, 04:17 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

^^^
Mad_john, in US and Europe fuel tank is metal, so there is no plastic ring that you can tighten by screwdriver and hammer. (it's in Korean specs)