Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

"shaking" While Accelerating From A Stop

Old 01-13-2006, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok let me try and explain this the best i can.
For those of you who understand the term "wheel hop" when drag racing may understand this better.
From a stop i put it into first and just as i'm taking off nice and slowly the engine/car shakes quite a bit before it smooths out and drives normally.
If feels like "mini-wheel hop" is what i'm getting everytime i go from a stop.. i'm not too sure what it may be..
i think it may be weak motor mounts.. but other than that i have no clue.. if i try to peel out as if i were racing then for sure i'd get masssive wheel hop.. i've snapped a drive shaft at the track before from the wheel hop..
and its not "bogging" for those who may interperet it as that.. bogging is different, and its not doing that.
if feels like something is weak or loose...

any ideas???
Old 01-13-2006, 10:57 PM

Check your engine and tranny mounts
Old 01-13-2006, 11:05 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

clutch "judder" ?
Old 01-14-2006, 04:24 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

what is wheel hop?
Old 01-14-2006, 08:44 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Dimi, its when you launch the car hard and you can feel the wheels bounce up and down. Comes from high horsepower FWD most of the time. Sometimes its so harsh as to turn on windshield wipers, knock sensors loose, etc. Not a fun thing.

Next time you go to the track BTW, let your air down in your fronts, that usually helps wheel hop. And since you've had it before, it could very well be your motor mounts. I've never driven a car that had a dead motor mount though, so I don't really know if it causes problems on smooth takeoffs.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:58 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

I have 4 dead motor mounts, I can take off smothly and slowly with no problems.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:39 AM

it depends on the mount. I know my old excel had a couple of dead "roll" mounts and I could literally smack the head into the firewall by letting off quickly and then flooring it.

I think you need to make sure you are not having wheel hop.. have a friend watch you pull away from a stop. I have seen a ford taurus hop it's one front wheel pulling away from a light due to a bad suspension bushing.

So, check engine mounts and front suspension. Anything else, I will have to guess at.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:13 AM

yeea i figured it'd be something like a mount..
i used to race my car a lot way back and could launch fine and dandy.. then one day started launching and had some wheel hop.. it was kinda here and there.. then went to the track... on my first run was fine.. second was fine.. third had wheel hop and as soon as i felt it i let off the gas and pressed the clutch in but it was too late and the drive shaft snapped...
wheel hop basically feels like your drive shaft is being harshly banged on against something... its not a good feeling at all..
after that i replaced the shaft and i still notice it.. even on wet conditions instead of my wheels spinning, it hops....
all this i'm talking about is now just a more mild version when i'm doing my daily driving and acceling from a stop.. if i peel out like 3 more times another shaft is going to go..
and yea i've already tried lowering my psi at the track down to 22 in fronts and as low as 19-20.. helped a bit but still caught it sometimes..