Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Rough Or No Starting: Trying To Diagnose

Old 12-18-2008, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi fellas,

First, a big HI! to a lot of my friends here that I haven't talked to in ages! Most of you won't remember me probably, but I sure hope some do (Redz?!)

The problem I'm having with my 2000 Tib is trouble starting. It turns over, rumbles a little bit, but won't start. Sometimes it will do this for up to 5 minutes, then start. Other times (like recently), I can't get it started for more than a day.

It had this problem earlier in the summer, so I took it in. They gave it a full tune up, checked the timing, fuel pump, etc. It was fine for a long time, and then this week, each morning took longer and longer to start.

I've been reading all over the net, especially searching this site, and I'm thinking it might be the crankshaft position sensor. I've also seen the camshaft position sensor mentioned during trouble shooting as well.

So my question is, is it possible that rough, rumbling starts, or no starts at all, could be the crankshaft position sensor?

Could it be the camshaft position sensor? (I keep getting confused between the two).

From what I've read, the crankshaft position sensor is not too difficult to replace - and so long as I can do it under the hood, it shouldn't be too bad a problem (with help from friends). I'm just not experienced enough to be able to troubleshoot and diagnose problems.

Any info, tips, or suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thanks guys!!

--Josh
Old 12-18-2008, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Both sensors can be replaced fairly easily, but you may want to give a quick check first... the crank position sensor hole, clean it out thoroughly, then clean the sensor and make sure it's fully seated in there. I doubt it would work, if a failing sensor is your problem, but if there is some corrosion in the hole that might prevent proper sensing for you like it has for a couple other members recently.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:32 AM

Thanks, Stocker.

I've found a diagram from the manual (not entirely the best, but better than I had an hour ago lol)
http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/coupe/service/w...id=12130#_12130

If I can't get it started after work, I'm going to get it towed to my uncle's house, and we will check it and clean it out like you suggest.

I may order a new one from autozone (have to ship, 2 days - not in stock). And if the cleaning doesn't work, a new sensor will be on the way it. If it does work, then at least I can return the unused one.

Is there a CEL code for that sensor? I wish I could rule out other possibilities before ordering the part.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help!
Old 12-18-2008, 08:39 AM
Banned

where in MI are you from? might have a member close by to help.

anyway, i had a problem with the crank sensor once, the o-ring was shredded and coolant from a leaky hose got in/around the sensor, and the car wouldn't start up. cleaned off the sensor, replaced the o-ring and fired right up.

but if its rumbling a lil (please explain) doesn't sound like a crank sensor issue, but still could be.

just for giggles, check your plugs.. duno why, but something may be causing it to run rich and fouling your plugs out.. dirty plugs wont allow the car to start, or such little spark may cause the rumbling or attempt at starting.

if it kept getting worse and worse, it could be that your plugs were getting worse and worse.

back to the crank sensor and cam sensor.. they are both very easy to replace but if they did a tune up, and things were good, and started getting worse and worse, would make me doubt either sensor.. because a tune up doesnt replace either of those..

but it DOES replace plugs..

is your car throwing any CELS?
Old 12-18-2008, 08:54 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SOCKS @ Dec 18 2008, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>where in MI are you from? might have a member close by to help.

anyway, i had a problem with the crank sensor once, the o-ring was shredded and coolant from a leaky hose got in/around the sensor, and the car wouldn't start up. cleaned off the sensor, replaced the o-ring and fired right up.

but if its rumbling a lil (please explain) doesn't sound like a crank sensor issue, but still could be.

just for giggles, check your plugs.. duno why, but something may be causing it to run rich and fouling your plugs out.. dirty plugs wont allow the car to start, or such little spark may cause the rumbling or attempt at starting.

if it kept getting worse and worse, it could be that your plugs were getting worse and worse.

back to the crank sensor and cam sensor.. they are both very easy to replace but if they did a tune up, and things were good, and started getting worse and worse, would make me doubt either sensor.. because a tune up doesnt replace either of those..

but it DOES replace plugs..

is your car throwing any CELS?</div>
By rumbling (maybe that isn't the best term), I mean that the car is cranking, it sounds normal as if it is about to start at any minute, but never does. It isn't violently shaking or anything, but the lucky times it does start up, it will give a quick & light "shake" before finally starting.

It did throw a CEL, but I haven't been able to diagnose it to see what the code is. I'm about to call Autozone and see if they lend out the tool, since I can't take my car there.

The plugs are pretty new, and I replaced the wiring myself not too long ago. But you are right, I should check them for sure!

Thanks man!

I'm in the Lansing/Ann Arbor area (right in between).
Old 12-18-2008, 09:09 AM
Banned

check the crank position sensor, and by check it, i mean (and you can do this yourself) get a 10mm socket and take the one bolt off for the crank sensor, then just pull the sensor out.. look at the o-ring and see if its cracked/torn/corroding.

then wipe off the entire sensor with a towel. plug it back in, bolt it up, and try starting it.

heres a pic of where the CKP bolts in..

its just under the coolant pipe, and right next to where the trans bolts up.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:25 AM

Thanks a lot SOCKS!

That picture is awesome - a lot better than the drawn diagram I've been looking at.

Is your engine outside of the vehicle, and if so, is this something that can be replaced under the hood?

Thanks again...you guys have gave a lot of help in such a short time hail.gif
Old 12-18-2008, 09:31 AM
Banned

i dont have my tib anymore.. its something that can be replaced in the vehicle with everything attached.. ill get you a better pic...

engine was in the car, in the pic, just had the trans off cuz my clutch exploded

in this picture, you can see the wiring for the sensor and the sensor itself.. its just to the left of the tbolt clamp on the coolant pipe. its circled in red.. the yellow dot is the 10mm bolt..

Old 12-18-2008, 09:37 AM

Ok, awesome. Thanks again!

It will probably be too dark by the time I get it home tonight, but once I get it out and check it out, I'll report back.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:43 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Did you check your fuel pump? I've got a DIY up on how to do the test. If your fuel pump is fine, then the CKP of course. if they are both fine, check your injectors to make sure they are spraying.

This is all assuming that your wires/plugs are good and don't have any buildup.