Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

refreshing my 2000 Tiburon

Old 06-05-2011, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon
Default refreshing my 2000 Tiburon

Hello once again. I have been seriously contemplating selling the Tib for a few months now as I am finally making decent money. I was thinking long and hard about selling or rebuilding, and its come down to rebuilding. There is simply no car out there that has the curb appeal of my cobalt blue Tib, and to sell it would be just dumb…. i think. perhaps the future holds an entire beta2 swap with supercharger.

Im looking at replacing all 4 calipers, Brake master cylinder, all 4 hubs, inner tie rods, outer ball joints. new eibach springs, and new KYB struts.

Im also considering replacing the entire control arm with bushings as a set if the price is right after i conduct an inspection of the rubbers.

If you had to choose new calipers, what brand would you go with ?

RockAuto has the following manufacturers for sale:

Calipers

Centric

Raybestos

A-1 Cardone

Nastra

Beck Arnley

Auto 7

Wagner

Master Cylinder

Dorman

AUTOSPECIALTY / KELSEY-HAYE

Centric

Raybestos

A-1 Cardone

Beck Arnley

Auto 7

Wagner

Hubs

Front

Timken

National

SKF

Beck Arnley

Auto 7

Rear

GMB

Value Pro

Raybestos

Timken

National

SKF

Beck Arnley

Tie Rods and Ball Joints

Auto Extra

Reybestos

Mevotech

Deeza

AC Delco

Beck Arnley

Auto 7

Moog
Old 06-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

All I can say is: if it is made in China you don't want it. As for brands, it can be a crap shoot. I bought a part from a national rebuilder that turned out to be a reman'd Hyundai casting.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:32 PM

yea, thats what im afraid of, ive seen some pretty crappy reman jobs, i suppose this topic would take some time to develop as people chime in with their thoughts on what they bought. thanks stocker
Old 06-06-2011, 07:26 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

I'm all about timken when it comes to bearings and also a big moog fan.

Brakes parts id just go with whatever your local auto parts store backs with a warranty.

I can't remember if your from out west or not, but give the brakes lines a check too.

I had a line blow on the tib last year, rusted right through. threw a set of vicegrips on the end to cap it off so i at least and 3 brakes until i could fix it B)

I personally wouldn't replace the front hubs unless the spline was bad or the hub cracked. Popping a new bearing in is essentially starting fresh.

STILL... i don't recommend replacing something if its not worn/broken. You go to do inner/outer tie rods and don't take your time and measurements and throw the toe off to all hell you'll be trying to get it back to spec without an alignment machine lol
Old 06-06-2011, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by SR Tech
I'm all about timken when it comes to bearings and also a big moog fan.

Brakes parts id just go with whatever your local auto parts store backs with a warranty.

I can't remember if your from out west or not, but give the brakes lines a check too.

I had a line blow on the tib last year, rusted right through. threw a set of vicegrips on the end to cap it off so i at least and 3 brakes until i could fix it B)

thanks, when i changed the pads and rotors last year, the front pistons in the calipers had rusted and seized, so i pulled them apart and rebuilt them. Also i flushed the front brake lines to get the condensation build up out. the rear pistons werent too bad but were showing some signs of rust due to water in the lines.

I personally wouldn't replace the front hubs unless the spline was bad or the hub cracked. Popping a new bearing in is essentially starting fresh.

STILL... i don't recommend replacing something if its not worn/broken. You go to do inner/outer tie rods and don't take your time and measurements and throw the toe off to all hell you'll be trying to get it back to spec without an alignment machine lol

i understand the "if its not broke, dont fix it" mentality, but tie rods, ball joints, bushings, and bearings wear out unexpectedly, so better to replace them now while i have the front end apart. thanks for your input on Timken and Moog too !
Old 06-06-2011, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

IMO: Replace stuff only as it fails, unless you just have money falling out your pockets.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:33 PM

all those parts have 126k miles on them, except for the springs and struts. they are being replaced no matter what. does kspec still have the complete bushing sets ?
Old 06-12-2011, 01:44 PM

this is my current expenditure sheet on the refresh.

all prices are estimates based on RockAuto pricing except for sway bars and rotors

PURCHASED

381.55 KYB struts and mounts

206.00 eibach springs

279.00 kspec bushings

TOTAL 866

NEEDED

inner tie rods 8 each = 16

outer tie rods 10 each = 20

ball joints

sway bars

axles 46 each

hubs

front 30 each = 60

rear 45 each = 90

calipers

front 206 pair

rear 206 pair

rotors and pads

gaskets

intake manifold 4 each = 8

TOTAL 1228

EXTRAS:

LITHIUM GREASE

BRAKE FLUID

AXLE GREASE

BEARING GREASE

Red Spray Paint

Clear Spray Paint

Hyundai decals

funds needed

(axles)92 + (bearings)150 + (calipers)412 + (rotors)130 + (IM gaskets)8 + (sway bars)400 + (inner/outer tie rods)36 = 1228

ESTIMATED TOTAL 2,158