Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Quick Question

Old 07-17-2006, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Veilside Turbulence

just installed headers and a "hi flow cat" which consisted of straight pipe with flanges gutted out clean. i have a flowmaster muffler and a cold air intake...at low rpm the thing sounds like a FN MONSTER but after like 3,000 RPMs my flowmaster lets loose this tinny loud as fu*explitive deleted*ck rattle ish noise but i can guarentee NOTHINGS rattling. i doubt its the heat sheild cuz it would do it all the time then. i think i need a better muffler...anyone got any ideas because i know a hi performance cat (which im ordering tomorrow) isnt going to stop it from doing that.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:55 AM

my MRBP exhaust does the same thing at the same RPMs... and it has since the day it was installed. I crawled upder the car while it was doing it, and it seems to be coming from where the pipe goes over the rear axle. I know I can wiggle the whole muffler and pipe without hitting anything, so it's an enigma to me too...

Sorry <u>I</u> don't have the answer, but if someone here knows the answer, it would help me too!
Old 07-17-2006, 10:17 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Welcome to the world of exhaust system buzz, header buzz if you will.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:42 AM

how do i fix it? its LOUD and well...here

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...deoid=943776900
Old 07-17-2006, 12:18 PM

Generally the header buzz is caused by the walls being too thin. If you get lucky some things will help (resonator, width of piping, etc.) but for the most part you either have to live with it or replace it...................
Old 07-17-2006, 04:47 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Equal length headers are also known to have less of this problem, for instance manufacturers such as Lexus claim they're throaty exhaust note is based off of the headers being equal length. My father also said that it comes from the motor not being balanced.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:27 PM

ok, I guess I have a completely different problem with rattling... sad.gif
Old 07-17-2006, 10:02 PM

which kinda sux for both of us phorq 02.gif

the car sounds hella nasty under 2K rpm...and 4th gear is awesome beause if you can work it right it you can go straight thru without the buzz. but i think its the header flange rubbin on my heater sheild because i hear it L.A.F. in my console area (or where my console used ta be). i have yet to take the car on the highway lol...
Old 07-17-2006, 10:15 PM

Get a real high flow cat and a glasspack, such as Thrush.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:28 AM

my exhaust guy says i have a exhaust leak. i think its leaking from the same flange thats hitting my heater shield. both coming from the same area basically sounds like hell itself spewing forth from my muffler. the conclusion:

dropping my exhaust later on tonight, and basically make a new system. possibly keeping the flowmaster it has on it...possibly switching over to DC Sports or APEX'i.