Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Question About Messed Up Tps And Maf

Old 05-16-2007, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a CEL and pulled the codes. I got:

0506 - Idle control system lower than expected

1124 - TPS out of self-test range

1128 - MAP control lower than expected.

One of my mechanic friends told me it was probably just the MAF that is on the fritz and is wreaking havoc with the other systems. for a couple days it was idling around 1200 and sounded like it was loading up whenever I'd hit the gas and it would sputter for a second then clear. Any ideas?
Old 05-16-2007, 08:03 AM

Well you might as well check your TPS now. It may not be that but alot of us have had problems with the TPS. Read the writing on it and see if it says "Dae Sung" or "Kefico." The Dae Sungs have a bad rep for crapping out prematurely.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:08 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

normally i would agree with your mechanic. however, he doesn't know tiburons like we do. you probably have a dae sung tps, if you do, that is what is causing your problem. swap it with a kefico, the dae sung's have known issues, but were never officially recalled.

if switching the tps from a dae sung to a kefico doesn't help, then start looking at the maf. it is very rare for a maf to just go bad though (unlike the tps).
Old 05-29-2007, 08:27 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zoned019 @ May 16 2007, 09:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>normally i would agree with your mechanic. however, he doesn't know tiburons like we do. you probably have a dae sung tps, if you do, that is what is causing your problem. swap it with a kefico, the dae sung's have known issues, but were never officially recalled.

if switching the tps from a dae sung to a kefico doesn't help, then start looking at the maf. it is very rare for a maf to just go bad though (unlike the tps).</div>

Thanks man. I replaced the TPS with a kefico and fixed the problem. WOOHOO no more rolling idle and better throttle response!
Old 05-29-2007, 11:11 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

if the tps issue isnt in a faq or soemthing it should be. we get so many questions about it and it always turns up to fix it.